    Kim André Akerø
    -
    (remove NOSPAM to contact me directly)
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Nov 24, 2005

  2. Writing in
    news:alt.html,alt.www.webmaster,comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
    From the safety of the Betadome Digital Media cafeteria
    Kim André Akerø <> said:

    > Yesterday, I received the backup files of AllMyFAQs.com from Jerry
    > Muelver himself, just so I could get a version up and running.
    > http://allmyfaqs.net/
    > http://allmyfaqs.org/
    > Let me know if you notice any errors that need to be fixed.

    Yahay - that ridiculous pop-up/floatie ad thingy has gone :)

    Now then [1] - for your next trick resurrect the AWW soap opera.

    [1] paradoxically speaking
    --
    William Tasso

    Save the drama
    for your Mama.
    William Tasso, Nov 24, 2005

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Kim André
    Akerø finally proclaimed:

    > it's now read-only

    As it is read-only, and the guest register page for me is terribly out
    of date, can you please remove that page entirely?

    Thanks.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Usenet: The first post is free, but the next will cost you your soul.
    Dylan Parry, Nov 24, 2005
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Rick Brandt Guest

    Kim André Akerø wrote:
    > Yesterday, I received the backup files of AllMyFAQs.com from Jerry
    > Muelver himself, just so I could get a version up and running.
    >
    > The following two URLs point to the exact same location, so just use
    > the one you feel most comfortable with.
    >
    > http://allmyfaqs.net/
    > http://allmyfaqs.org/
    >
    > I had to make a few changes to make it work somewhat properly (it's
    > now read-only, and the "page index" link points to the .net domain
    > above). I know that some of the internal links are absolute (in which
    > case they point to the .net domain above).
    >
    > Let me know if you notice any errors that need to be fixed. And spread
    > the word if you want to (but only if you want to).

    The page...

    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/css_index

    ....refers to CSS tutorials and gives bullets about their content, but provides
    no way to actually view a tutorial (that I can find).
    Rick Brandt, Nov 24, 2005
  5. Matt-the-Hoople, Nov 24, 2005
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Greg N. Guest

    Kim André Akerø wrote:

    > The following two URLs point to the exact same location, so just use
    > the one you feel most comfortable with.
    >
    > http://allmyfaqs.net/
    > http://allmyfaqs.org/

    I'm not sure that's a good idea.

    By making the same page accessible through different domains, you split
    up the Google Rank, and hence, lower the chance for novice "customers"
    to find the page.

    I'm not objecting you to reserve both the net and org domain, but you
    should advertise only one of the two, try to keep the other one secret
    or play it down at least.

    By the way, in terms of Google, there are 4 domains we're dealing with:

    http://allmyfaqs.net/
    http://allmyfaqs.org/
    http://www.allmyfaqs.net/
    http://www.allmyfaqs.org/

    I'd say, pick one of the four, promote that one (and only that one), and
    discourage the use of all others.

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
    Greg N., Nov 24, 2005
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Matt Probert Guest

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:21:14 -0000, "William Tasso"
    <> wrote:

    > Writing in
    > From the safety of the Betadome Digital Media cafeteria
    > Kim André Akerø <> said:
    >
    > > Yesterday, I received the backup files of AllMyFAQs.com from Jerry
    > > Muelver himself, just so I could get a version up and running.
    > > http://allmyfaqs.net/
    > > http://allmyfaqs.org/
    > > Let me know if you notice any errors that need to be fixed.

    > Yahay - that ridiculous pop-up/floatie ad thingy has gone :)
    >
    > Now then [1] - for your next trick resurrect the AWW soap opera.

    Ahem....I seem to remember that the AWW soap opera was my creation!

    Matt

    --
    The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com
    Matt Probert, Nov 24, 2005
  8. William Tasso, Nov 24, 2005
  9. "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message
    > Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Kim André
    > Akerø finally proclaimed:
    >
    >> it's now read-only

    > As it is read-only, and the guest register page for me is terribly out
    > of date, can you please remove that page entirely?

    Mine as well. It states that I own both affordablehost.com and host
    allmyfaqs - neither is true.

    Thanks!

    --Tina
    Tina - AxisHOST, Inc., Nov 24, 2005
  10. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Nov 24, 2005
  11. Rick Brandt wrote:

    > Kim André Akerø wrote:
    > > Yesterday, I received the backup files of AllMyFAQs.com from Jerry
    > > Muelver himself, just so I could get a version up and running.
    > >
    > > The following two URLs point to the exact same location, so just use
    > > the one you feel most comfortable with.
    > >
    > > http://allmyfaqs.net/
    > > http://allmyfaqs.org/
    > >
    > > I had to make a few changes to make it work somewhat properly (it's
    > > now read-only, and the "page index" link points to the .net domain
    > > above). I know that some of the internal links are absolute (in
    > > which case they point to the .net domain above).
    > >
    > > Let me know if you notice any errors that need to be fixed. And
    > > spread the word if you want to (but only if you want to).

    > The page...
    >
    > http://webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/css_index
    >
    > ...refers to CSS tutorials and gives bullets about their content, but
    > provides no way to actually view a tutorial (that I can find).

    You'd have to blame Dylan Parry for that one, since he's the one who
    runs the Webpageworkshop.co.uk site.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Nov 24, 2005
  12. Dylan Parry wrote:

    > Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Kim André
    > Akerø finally proclaimed:
    >
    > > it's now read-only

    > As it is read-only, and the guest register page for me is terribly out
    > of date, can you please remove that page entirely?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Suggestion taken, your info page has been removed.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    =?utf-8?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Nov 24, 2005
  13. Tina - AxisHOST, Inc. wrote:

    > "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message
    > > Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Kim André
    > > Akerø finally proclaimed:
    > >
    > > > it's now read-only

    > > As it is read-only, and the guest register page for me is terribly
    > > out of date, can you please remove that page entirely?

    > Mine as well. It states that I own both affordablehost.com and host
    > allmyfaqs - neither is true.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Removed your page as well. :)

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Nov 24, 2005
  14. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Rick Brandt Guest

    Kim André Akerø wrote:
    > Rick Brandt wrote:
    >
    > > Kim André Akerø wrote:
    > > > Yesterday, I received the backup files of AllMyFAQs.com from Jerry
    > > > Muelver himself, just so I could get a version up and running.
    > > >
    > > > The following two URLs point to the exact same location, so just
    > > > use the one you feel most comfortable with.
    > > >
    > > > http://allmyfaqs.net/
    > > > http://allmyfaqs.org/
    > > >
    > > > I had to make a few changes to make it work somewhat properly
    > > > (it's now read-only, and the "page index" link points to the .net
    > > > domain above). I know that some of the internal links are
    > > > absolute (in which case they point to the .net domain above).
    > > >
    > > > Let me know if you notice any errors that need to be fixed. And
    > > > spread the word if you want to (but only if you want to).

    > > The page...
    > >
    > > http://webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/css_index
    > >
    > > ...refers to CSS tutorials and gives bullets about their content,
    > > but provides no way to actually view a tutorial (that I can find).

    > You'd have to blame Dylan Parry for that one, since he's the one who
    > runs the Webpageworkshop.co.uk site.

    Sorry about that. Wasn't paying enough attention when I clicked on a link in a
    sig instead of the ones you provided.
    Rick Brandt, Nov 24, 2005
  15. Greg N. wrote

    > Kim André Akerø wrote:
    >
    >> The following two URLs point to the exact same location, so just use
    >> the one you feel most comfortable with.
    >>
    >> http://allmyfaqs.net/
    >> http://allmyfaqs.org/

    > I'm not sure that's a good idea.
    >
    > By making the same page accessible through different domains, you

    split
    > up the Google Rank, and hence, lower the chance for novice

    "customers"
    > to find the page.
    >
    > I'm not objecting you to reserve both the net and org domain, but you
    > should advertise only one of the two, try to keep the other one secret
    > or play it down at least.
    >
    > By the way, in terms of Google, there are 4 domains we're dealing

    with:

    > http://allmyfaqs.net/
    > http://allmyfaqs.org/
    > http://www.allmyfaqs.net/
    > http://www.allmyfaqs.org/
    >
    > I'd say, pick one of the four, promote that one (and only that one),

    and
    > discourage the use of all others.

    I'd say don't bother doing anything. Nobody reads it.

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com
    Charles Sweeney, Nov 24, 2005
  16. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Rick Brandt
    finally proclaimed:

    > ...refers to CSS tutorials and gives bullets about their content, but provides
    > no way to actually view a tutorial (that I can find).

    Yep, that would be my fault! I've not had all that much time for
    updating that particular site in the last 12 months :(

    There are only two articles linked to on that page, and the rest are
    placeholders for me to complete when I find the time...

    Dylan Parry, Nov 24, 2005
  17. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Kim André
    Akerø finally proclaimed:

    > You'd have to blame Dylan Parry for that one

    Yeah, that's right. Blame poor, (not-so-)old me :( Oh... I suppose it
    *is* my fault :\

    Dylan Parry, Nov 24, 2005
  18. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Greg N. Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    >>http://allmyfaqs.net/
    >>http://allmyfaqs.org/
    >>http://www.allmyfaqs.net/
    >>http://www.allmyfaqs.org/
    >>
    >>I'd say, pick one of the four, promote that one (and only that one),

    > I agree up to this point.
    >
    >>and discourage the use of all others.

    > I disagree. Instead use a 301 redirect.

    If, after a while, a ton of sites on the web carry a link to another
    than the "primary" url, a lot of potential google page ranking for the
    primary url will be lost. That's because a 301 redirect will most
    likely result in a lesser ranking credit (or none at all) for the
    primary URL than a direct link.

    So, a 301 redirect is fine, but 'Id also specifilally discourage the use
    of the secondary URLs.

    --

    First, you tell them what you're gonna tell them. Then you tell them.
    Finally you tell them what you told them.

    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
    Greg N., Nov 24, 2005
  19. Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Greg N. wrote:
    >
    > > http://allmyfaqs.net/
    > > http://allmyfaqs.org/
    > > http://www.allmyfaqs.net/
    > > http://www.allmyfaqs.org/
    > >
    > > I'd say, pick one of the four, promote that one (and only that
    > > one),

    > I agree up to this point.
    >
    > > and discourage the use of all others.

    > I disagree. Instead use a 301 redirect.

    Good point. I've set up a rewrite that redirects all requests on the
    ..org domain (with 301) to the .net domain.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    =?utf-8?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Nov 24, 2005
  20. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Els Guest

    >>> http://allmyfaqs.org/
    >>> http://www.allmyfaqs.net/
    >>> http://www.allmyfaqs.org/
    >>>
    >>> I'd say, pick one of the four, promote that one (and only that
    >>> one),

    >> I agree up to this point.
    >>
    >>> and discourage the use of all others.

    >> I disagree. Instead use a 301 redirect.

    > Good point. I've set up a rewrite that redirects all requests on the
    > .org domain (with 301) to the .net domain.

    Yup, now you only need to add a redirect 301 from www.allmyfaqs.net to
    allmyfaqs.net (or vice versa of course) :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Nov 24, 2005