All My FAQs revisited

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Yesterday, I received the backup files of AllMyFAQs.com from Jerry
Muelver himself, just so I could get a version up and running.

The following two URLs point to the exact same location, so just use
the one you feel most comfortable with.

http://allmyfaqs.net/
http://allmyfaqs.org/

I had to make a few changes to make it work somewhat properly (it's now
read-only, and the "page index" link points to the .net domain above).
I know that some of the internal links are absolute (in which case they
point to the .net domain above).

Let me know if you notice any errors that need to be fixed. And spread
the word if you want to (but only if you want to).

William Tasso

Writing in
From the safety of the Betadome Digital Media cafeteria
Kim André Akerø said:
Yesterday, I received the backup files of AllMyFAQs.com from Jerry
Muelver himself, just so I could get a version up and running.
http://allmyfaqs.net/
http://allmyfaqs.org/
Let me know if you notice any errors that need to be fixed.

Yahay - that ridiculous pop-up/floatie ad thingy has gone :)

Now then [1] - for your next trick resurrect the AWW soap opera.

[1] paradoxically speaking

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Kim André
Akerø finally proclaimed:
it's now read-only

As it is read-only, and the guest register page for me is terribly out
of date, can you please remove that page entirely?

Thanks.

Rick Brandt

Kim said:
Yesterday, I received the backup files of AllMyFAQs.com from Jerry
Muelver himself, just so I could get a version up and running.

The following two URLs point to the exact same location, so just use
the one you feel most comfortable with.

http://allmyfaqs.net/
http://allmyfaqs.org/

I had to make a few changes to make it work somewhat properly (it's
now read-only, and the "page index" link points to the .net domain
above). I know that some of the internal links are absolute (in which
case they point to the .net domain above).

Let me know if you notice any errors that need to be fixed. And spread
the word if you want to (but only if you want to).

The page...

http://webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/css_index

....refers to CSS tutorials and gives bullets about their content, but provides
no way to actually view a tutorial (that I can find).

Greg N.

Kim said:
The following two URLs point to the exact same location, so just use
the one you feel most comfortable with.

http://allmyfaqs.net/
http://allmyfaqs.org/

I'm not sure that's a good idea.

By making the same page accessible through different domains, you split
up the Google Rank, and hence, lower the chance for novice "customers"
to find the page.

I'm not objecting you to reserve both the net and org domain, but you
should advertise only one of the two, try to keep the other one secret
or play it down at least.

By the way, in terms of Google, there are 4 domains we're dealing with:

http://allmyfaqs.net/
http://allmyfaqs.org/
http://www.allmyfaqs.net/
http://www.allmyfaqs.org/

I'd say, pick one of the four, promote that one (and only that one), and
discourage the use of all others.

Matt Probert

Writing in
From the safety of the Betadome Digital Media cafeteria
Kim André Akerø said:
Yesterday, I received the backup files of AllMyFAQs.com from Jerry
Muelver himself, just so I could get a version up and running.
http://allmyfaqs.net/
http://allmyfaqs.org/
Let me know if you notice any errors that need to be fixed.

Yahay - that ridiculous pop-up/floatie ad thingy has gone :)

Now then [1] - for your next trick resurrect the AWW soap opera.

Ahem....I seem to remember that the AWW soap opera was my creation!

Matt

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc.

Dylan Parry said:
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Kim André
Akerø finally proclaimed:

As it is read-only, and the guest register page for me is terribly out
of date, can you please remove that page entirely?

Mine as well. It states that I own both affordablehost.com and host
allmyfaqs - neither is true.

Thanks!

--Tina

Guest

Dylan said:
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Kim André
Akerø finally proclaimed:

As it is read-only, and the guest register page for me is terribly out
of date, can you please remove that page entirely?

Thanks.

Suggestion taken, your info page has been removed.

?

Tina said:
Mine as well. It states that I own both affordablehost.com and host
allmyfaqs - neither is true.

Thanks!

Removed your page as well. :)

Rick Brandt

Kim said:
You'd have to blame Dylan Parry for that one, since he's the one who
runs the Webpageworkshop.co.uk site.

Sorry about that. Wasn't paying enough attention when I clicked on a link in a
sig instead of the ones you provided.

Charles Sweeney

Greg N. wrote
I'm not sure that's a good idea.

By making the same page accessible through different domains, you split
up the Google Rank, and hence, lower the chance for novice "customers"
to find the page.

I'm not objecting you to reserve both the net and org domain, but you
should advertise only one of the two, try to keep the other one secret
or play it down at least.

By the way, in terms of Google, there are 4 domains we're dealing with:

http://allmyfaqs.net/
http://allmyfaqs.org/
http://www.allmyfaqs.net/
http://www.allmyfaqs.org/

I'd say, pick one of the four, promote that one (and only that one), and
discourage the use of all others.

I'd say don't bother doing anything. Nobody reads it.

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Rick Brandt
finally proclaimed:
...refers to CSS tutorials and gives bullets about their content, but provides
no way to actually view a tutorial (that I can find).

Yep, that would be my fault! I've not had all that much time for
updating that particular site in the last 12 months :(

There are only two articles linked to on that page, and the rest are
placeholders for me to complete when I find the time...

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Kim André
Akerø finally proclaimed:
You'd have to blame Dylan Parry for that one

Yeah, that's right. Blame poor, (not-so-)old me :( Oh... I suppose it
*is* my fault :\

Greg N.

Toby said:
I agree up to this point.

I disagree. Instead use a 301 redirect.

If, after a while, a ton of sites on the web carry a link to another
than the "primary" url, a lot of potential google page ranking for the
primary url will be lost. That's because a 301 redirect will most
likely result in a lesser ranking credit (or none at all) for the
primary URL than a direct link.

So, a 301 redirect is fine, but 'Id also specifilally discourage the use
of the secondary URLs.

--

First, you tell them what you're gonna tell them. Then you tell them.
Finally you tell them what you told them.

Gregor's Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

Guest

Toby said:
I agree up to this point.

I disagree. Instead use a 301 redirect.

Good point. I've set up a rewrite that redirects all requests on the
..org domain (with 301) to the .net domain.