All new VS2003 projects result in 404 errors

Guest

Just installed VS2003 and tried a hello world app. Getting 404 error even
when I explictly specify the start page in the url.

In IIS Mgr (v 5.1), App has .aspx mapped to
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll.

The file in question IS in the virtual directory and this is the inetmgr log
file entry that occurs when my browser requests the page: 19:42:27 127.0.0.1
GET /UP1/WebForm1.aspx 404

If I put a test HTML file (Default.htm) into the virtual directory and bring
up http://localhost/UP1 in my browser, I get the test page OK.

Interestingly, an app that I installed BEFORE installing VS2003 works. I
compared its properties to new apps generated by VS2003 and only difference I
see is that the new apps have the "Local Path" box in the Directory tab
greyed out. The old app has an absolute pathname
(c:\inetput\wwwroot\InstantForum41).

Important info. I HAD VS2005 Beta2 installed. I uninstalled it before
installing VS2003. Wonder if I broke something.

Also, another symptom is that debugger won't start. Says I need to "verify
that ASP.NET is correctly installed" (it is and wp_aspnet.exe is running as I
speak) or that "ATL Server is correctly installed" (not sure how to test
that).

Guest

Thanks but no luck. I had done that anyways (-c and -i from within my
1.1.4322 directory). I tried again and this time removed ASP.NET and scripts
from all apps and then reinstalled. No luck.

However, I did run into something interesting. When I do a aspnet_regiis -k
<dir> on a <dir> for a newly created and built "Hello World" app (VS2003
asp.net app with a single Label on start page), I get an error message saying
it is a valid App:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322>aspnet_regiis -k
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication2
Start removing any version of ASP.NET DLL recursively at
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebA
pplication2.
Installation stopped because the specified path
(c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplicati
on2) is not a valid web application.

Help!

Guest

Have you tried the "-ir" option?

Also if you right click on "Web Sites" in IIS, what's the ISAPI Filters? It
should be ASP.NET_1.1.4322.2300.

Have you checked the web services logs? They should be in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles

One last thing I can think of is to manually configure the sites.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnhcvs03/html/vs03f6.asp

ex: aspnet_regiis -s W3SVC/1/ROOT/yourwebappfolder

There's a .NET application someone wrote that will do this for you ... but I
can't find the link right now ...

Guest

Nope. Didn't try -ir but I just uninstalled and reinstalled .net 1.1 and
everything works now.

But thanks for the tips on aspnet_regiis. I will surely need them at some
point in the future.

Emmanuel

Guest

"-ir" reinstalls ASP.NET and registers it with IIS. I had the same problem
with the errors you were seeing and it ended up being ASP.NET not being
installed right.

Guest

Thanks