All of a sudden can't load into web forms designer

Schoo

I was working in VS creating web pages and testing them in debug for our
intranet site, when suddenly I went to run the app and got the error message
that there were build errors. To my suprise there were suddenly build
errors for all the pages in the project! Following the errors, I find that
the System objects are no longer recognized and have blue lines under them
indicting they are not defined. The references section of the project lists
a line that says "System" and I haven't been changing things in References
lately. Now I see that I can not open any page in the VS Form Designer,
even though when I bypass the error "There were build errors, Continue?" the
site actually runs.

Every page seems to error on the following objects:
MyBase.Load
System.Object
SysteEventArgs
"System.Web.UI.Page is not defined"
<a number of other various objects starting with "System....">
Request not decared

Even adding a new WebForm.aspx file will not let me look at it through the
VS Form Designer. The project is acting like a primary dll was removed or
something. I opened up another project on the same workstation and it had
no problem. I have also cold-rebooted the machine and tried everything
again.

Did something uninstall itself? What happened? What did I do wrong? How
can I get the debug errors to go away?

Scott

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Scott,

From your description, one of your web project is unable to rebuild because
the "System" namespace classes are not recognized though all the
assemblies are referenced , yes?

It seems abit strange, have you ever changed any setting in the project?
I've searched some former issues and some similiar issues are caused by the
mulit-project referenced or source control tools. Is the project be
referenced by any other project or reference any other project? Or have you
used any source control tools such as VSS ?
Some times this will cause such problem. Also, I think you can try the
following means:

1. Remove those assembly references in the project (such as System,
Sytem.Xml , System.Web....) . And then readd them again into the project
and try rebuilding it.

2. If the above #1 still not works, I think you can create a new webproject
and try adding those pages and components classes in the old project into
the new one and build the new one.

Please have a try. If you have any new findings, please feel free to post
here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Schoo

Steven,

Thank you for your ideas. Through a process of elimination I narrowed it
down to a specific form. Here is the problem: the form is named "System".
Because the form was named System it tried to create a new Class called
System which obviously would cause problems. So, I changed the class to
"System1" which appears to have corrected the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Scott