All .packlist files contain relative filenames?

moxie

I am using perl v5.6.1 which I have compiled on a Solaris 8/sparc server
using gcc v3.2.2. Building and installing perl was fairly
straight forward, save for some noise related to having to modify
makedepend.SH to remove some dummy prototype templates. The build of
perl works really well, save for one oddity: all of the .packlists
that are created contain *just* filenames, not absolute pathnames to
where the files are. For example, the .packlist for a build of
SpamAssassin on my FreeBSD box [perl 5.005_03] looks like:

/usr/local/bin/sa-learn
/usr/local/bin/spamassassin
/usr/local/bin/spamc
....etc.

While the .packlist on the Solaris box contains just:

ArchiveIterator.pm
AuditMessage.pm
AutoWhitelist.pm
Bayes.pm
....etc.

This issue is not limited to just the SpamAssassin package; anything
installed using CPAN exhibits this behavior. It is annoying because
it prevents me from being able to uninstall packages cleanly.

I do realize that v5.6.1 is not the most current version, but I must
use it for other dependancy reasons.

Any ideas as to what is going on? I'm tempted to compile 5.8 just to
see if it exhibits this behavior as well. perl -V output is posted
below. Thanks in advance,

Steve

% perl -V

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 6 subversion 1) configuration:
Platform:
osname=solaris, osvers=2.8, archname=sun4-solaris
uname='sunos dev8 5.8 generic_108528-18 sun4u sparc '
config_args='-Dprefix=/usr/local/perl5.6.1 -Uinstallusrbinperl -des'
usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef usemultiplicity=undef
useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
Compiler:
cc='gcc', ccflags ='-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',
optimize='-O',
cppflags='-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include'
ccversion='', gccversion='3.2.2', gccosandvers='solaris2.8'
intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=4321
d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16
ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
alignbytes=8, usemymalloc=y, prototype=define
Linker and Libraries:
ld='gcc', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib '
libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib
libs=-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lm -lc
perllibs=-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lm -lc
libc=/lib/libc.so, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
Dynamic Linking:
dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-G -L/usr/local/lib'