All the different kinds of Java????

Discussion in 'Java' started by Markis Landis Gardner, Feb 26, 2005.

  1. I need to know all the different kinds of things that go together with Java.

    Here is what I have so far:

    Java 2 Programming Language
    Java Server Pages (JSP)
    Java Beans (JB)
    Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)
    Java Script (JS)
    Java Server Faces (JSF)
    JDBC
    Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE)

    Is that all?

    Imagine you found someone who claimed to be an expert in every one of those
    areas. If you needed an expert in every one of those areas, would you tech
    interview in every area separately? Or are some of them grouped together
    (i.e. you know 1 - you know the other)?

    Thank you,

    Markis Landis Gardner
    President of Scholarships, Inc.
    A non-profit public charity formed to offer scholarships in the form of
    educational competitions.
    ** Coming Soon **
    Markis Landis Gardner, Feb 26, 2005

  2. Sorry, one more question - Is there enough material in each of these to
    offer many hundreds of different <practical> questions in each topic?

    Sorry, I have to know, because that is how we will give our competitions,
    with randomly chosen questions from list of thousands (hopefully) of
    questions.

    Thanks,

    Markis

    Markis Landis Gardner, Feb 26, 2005

  3. Markis Landis Gardner

    Guest

    On the whole look at it this way.

    The way you write Java (syntax) is the same throughout.

    However the key thing to understand is that it is someones experience
    in each of these areas that really counts. My experience is mainly in
    JSP's - I am certainly not the greatest Java developer in the world but
    I would probably develop a JSP website better than someone who has
    focussed on developing Java applications, merely because I have learnt
    ways and means of doing things though my experience of JSP development.

    I would probably be able to turn my hand to all of these areas you
    mention but have crucial experience in JSP's.

    It all depends on what you are employing somebody for.

    In terms of interview questions; I would explain the project and ask
    them how they would tackle it and what experience they already have in
    doing similar work.

    Hope this helps!
    , Feb 26, 2005
  4. Markis Landis Gardner

    Frank Guest

    Markis Landis Gardner wrote:
    > I need to know all the different kinds of things that go together with Java.
    >
    > Here is what I have so far:
    >
    > Java 2 Programming Language
    > Java Server Pages (JSP)
    > Java Beans (JB)
    > Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)
    > Java Script (JS)

    There's no such thing as 'Java Script'.

    There is a language called 'JavaScript', but other than the name it has
    no relation whatsoever to Java.
    Frank, Feb 26, 2005
  5. Thank you. No relation other than the name? Wow.

    Thanks,

    Markis

    Markis Landis Gardner, Feb 26, 2005
  6. Markis Landis Gardner wrote:
    > I need to know all the different kinds of things that go together with Java.
    >
    > Here is what I have so far:
    >
    > Java 2 Programming Language
    > Java Server Pages (JSP)
    > Java Beans (JB)
    > Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)
    > Java Script (JS)

    Javascript is unrelated to Java.

    > Java Server Faces (JSF)
    > JDBC
    > Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE)
    >
    > Is that all?

    No. It ignores Java 2 Micro Edition technologies, such as the MIDP,
    CLDC, CDC, Personal [Basis] Profile, Foundation Profile and all the
    related optional APIs.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit my homepage: http://mcpierce.multiply.com
    Darryl Pierce, Feb 26, 2005
  7. Markis Landis Gardner

    Bob Guest

    Markis Landis Gardner wrote:
    > Sorry, one more question - Is there enough material in each of these to
    > offer many hundreds of different <practical> questions in each topic?
    >
    > Sorry, I have to know, because that is how we will give our competitions,
    > with randomly chosen questions from list of thousands (hopefully) of
    > questions.

    You forgot J2ME (Java Mobile Edition), used for developing applications
    on handheld devices and other portable-hardware systems. And JavaScript
    has nothing to do with Java. It was named by some cheeky bastard to make
    it sound related.

    If you don't know anything about all this, where on Earth are you gonna
    get thousands of questions from? And what is the aim of this competition?

    You sound worryingly like a recruitment agent or, worse, a marketing
    man. Make sure you know what you're talking about before you venture
    into an area like this. Or snooty people like myself will eat you alive
    each time you make a mistake.
    --
    Bob
    Bob, Feb 26, 2005
  8. Markis Landis Gardner

    marcus Guest

    > You sound worryingly like a recruitment agent or, worse, a marketing
    > man.

    When I was in high school (1980's) I used to eat tests like this guy's
    gonna make for lunch. By the time I was 1/4 the way through I knew
    every thing i needed to know about the expertice of the test writer, how
    the test was written, and the assumptions driving the answers to score
    98-99 percentile consistently. Note the entire lack of any concept of
    testing for competence -- just insipid multiple-guess questions with
    vague "best fit" answers.

    I like the **coming soon** bit -- you gotta look at their (broken) site!
    marcus, Feb 27, 2005
  9. Markis Landis Gardner coughed up:

    > "Frank" <> wrote in message
    >> Markis Landis Gardner wrote:
    >>> I need to know all the different kinds of things that go together
    >>> with Java.
    >>>
    >>> Here is what I have so far:
    >>>
    >>> Java 2 Programming Language
    >>> Java Server Pages (JSP)
    >>> Java Beans (JB)
    >>> Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)
    >>> Java Script (JS)

    >> There's no such thing as 'Java Script'.
    >>
    >> There is a language called 'JavaScript', but other than the name it
    >> has no relation whatsoever to Java.

    [posting fixed]

    > Thank you. No relation other than the name? Wow.

    Nope. It's been irking many of us for a long time now.

    By the way, do *not* top post after others have already bottom posted. Just
    don't do it. It makes a freaking mess of the conversation.

    --
    Iamamanofconstantsorrow,I'veseentroubleallmydays.Ibidfarewelltoold
    Kentucky,TheplacewhereIwasbornandraised.ForsixlongyearsI'vebeenin
    Thomas G. Marshall, Feb 27, 2005