Allow user to fill predefined space

Roderick Thomas

This problem centers around the basic character/line count problem
most people have asked and have received numerous responses to.

However, my question is a little more detailed and I'm hoping for some
help to find a solution (or maybe the solution already exists).

I am interested in offering template capabilities that will allow
users to enter in their own text for a letter. I figured the best
solution would be to present a text area where they could enter their
own letter content. The font's height and height/width of the
printable portion of the stationary have already been determined. So
I know how many lines of text are capable of fitting and how many
characters per line are available before the line wraps on the
stationary.

The problem seems to be knowing the users actions and adjusting the
count based on them. For instance in the given scenario, if a user
enters 3 paragraphs of text(20 lines and 400 characters), then decides
to go into the second paragraph and completely delete it and retype
it, that throws the numbering system completely off. Detecting the
backspace key seems like it's feasible to do, but what about detecting
the data that has been deleted...is that possible?

What about turning off the ability to highlight sections and delete?
What if they were required to only hit the backspace key to delete
previous data? What about the ability to completely turn off the
backspace key in the textarea and require a complete delete of the
data (by a press of a button)?

Any insight or advice on this would be great.