allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.compile error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by RayLopez99, Jan 30, 2009.

  1. RayLopez99

    RayLopez99 Guest

    How to fix the below error? I am trying to debug a "Hello World"
    ASP.NET program that I wrote in MS XP OS using Visual Studio 2008, but
    now I get this error in Vista OS when I copy and paste the same into a
    Vista folder.

    I looked at the link below and I could not make any sense of it.
    Where do I click to change the "virtual folder"? Do I need IIS to run
    my app in Vista? Why can't I just use Visual Studio?

    Thank you,

    RL

    It is an error to use a section registered as
    allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
    error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
    application in IIS.

    http://forums.asp.net/t/769696.aspx
    RayLopez99, Jan 30, 2009

  2. RayLopez99

    RayLopez99 Guest

    On Jan 30, 2:29 pm, RayLopez99 <> wrote:
    > How to fix the below error?  I am trying to debug a "Hello World"
    > ASP.NET program that I wrote in MS XP OS using Visual Studio 2008, but
    > now I get this error in Vista OS when I copy and paste the same into a
    > Vista folder.

    I got it to work, after doing the following:

    1) checking to make sure the path was not too long (in my case, it was
    over 225 characters)

    2) opening a new application, rebuilding after cutting and pasting the
    old code (tedious, but worked)

    3) make sure you set Internet Explorer (the default browser for
    debugging) so scripts allowed, and other such tweaks (set to Low
    Security, go to Advanced Tab)

    It worked from under Visual Studio 2008, without resorting to running
    IIS.

    RL
    RayLopez99, Jan 30, 2009