allowDefinition=MachineToApplication

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Tumurbaatar S., Aug 13, 2005.

  1. If a section in Machine.config contains
    "allowDefinition=MachineToApplication"
    then it means that this section can be defined only in a root Web.config
    (i.e. application's
    config file). Other child Web.config's (config files located in sub-folders)
    cannot redefine it.
    Also, the root config file cannot avoid this restriction using different
    variants of this section
    with different <location> tags. Am I right?
    My problem is that I used different <authenticate> for a sub-folder. The
    sub-folder
    does not have own Web.config, the root Web.config defines new <location>
    and within it - a new <authenticate>. After installing my web app, the root
    folder
    automatically becomes Virtual folder of IIS, but the sub-folder remains
    within it
    as a normal sub-folder. Launching a sub-folder raises an error.
    I've searched net and found 2 ways to solve this:

    1.Convert the sub-folder to a standalone Virtual folder.
    2. Modify Machine.config

    The 1st way is easy, but ... many Virtual app-s.
    And what about the 2nd method? Removing above restriction from the
    Machine.config
    may lead to some security problems?
    Tumurbaatar S., Aug 13, 2005