Allowing combobox to display on a lower layer.

Subhakant

Hi,

I got a problem while renendering a menu and combobox on a page. The
problem is stated below.
As per my requirement I have to display a menu on top of the page and
a combo box just below it. While dragging the mouse over the menu, the
submenu items should appear over the combobox. I go for ZINDEX, assign
a lower ZINDEX to the combo box than that of the menu, but still the
combobox appears over the menu items.

Can we have an alternate for it?

Thanks in advance.

Subhakant

Yann-Erwan Perio

Subhakant said:
I got a problem while renendering a menu and combobox on a page.
While dragging the mouse over the menu, the
submenu items should appear over the combobox. I go for ZINDEX, assign
a lower ZINDEX to the combo box than that of the menu, but still the
combobox appears over the menu items.

In IE, select controls are so-called "windowed elements" and cannot be
stacked under other elements. There's therefore no immediate solution to
your issue, but some alternatives could be:
- to re-arrange the page, so that submenus never overlap the select boxes,
- to update your menu system, in order to hide select boxes whenever the
submenu is displayed.

Good luck,
Yep.

Martin Honnen

Subhakant said:
I got a problem while renendering a menu and combobox on a page. The
problem is stated below.
As per my requirement I have to display a menu on top of the page and
a combo box just below it. While dragging the mouse over the menu, the
submenu items should appear over the combobox. I go for ZINDEX, assign
a lower ZINDEX to the combo box than that of the menu, but still the
combobox appears over the menu items.

Can we have an alternate for it?

It depends on the browser:
top of normal HTML content and don't obey CSS z-index setting.
With Netscape 6/7 or Mozilla all form controls should obey z-index settings.
With IE4/5/5.5/6 on Windows a <select> control doesn't obey z-index
settings, it is painted on top of normal content. However you might be
able to remedy the problem by putting your layer into an <iframe>, then
then put a higher z-index on the <iframe> than onto the <select> and
that way the <iframe> should be on top of th <select>.