Almost beginner asking for info

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by RDavid, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. RDavid

    RDavid Guest

    Hi all,

    I know I'll probably get a whole host of opinions, perhaps some vocal and
    some not, but here goes.

    I've developed in VB for many years and only now have decided that I need to
    move into the 21st century. I want to try and identify a relatively decent
    step by step process of moving into the ASP.Net world.

    I have weak skills with HTML but strong backend db understanding including
    SQL server and ADO. Can I get some opinions (be nice) as to a path into
    ASP.Net? Books? Training Courses (CD, I can't travel)? Hit and miss?

    I've used the MS newsgroups on and off for a long time and find that most
    posters here are pretty knowledgeable so I'm hoping that I can take a lead
    from everyone's past experiences.

    Thanks very much!!!

    Rich

    RDavid, Jan 28, 2004

  2. RDavid

    Hermit Dave Guest

    a book is good enough to start with. Start with something like Wrox Press
    (not around any longer but you just might be lucky to find a book) Begining
    ASP.NET
    Wrox used to have really great book to start with (a lot of spoon feeding
    which tends to get boring once you know the system)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...641/sr=1-18/ref=sr_1_2_18/202-6136575-5552612
    (lucky indeed)

    --
    Regards,
    HD

    Hermit Dave, Jan 28, 2004

  3. RDavid

    RDavid Guest

    Thanks Hermit!

    I'll check out the costs from Amazon in the US on that title.

    You suggest that a book is okay to "start" with? Am I in for something more
    extreme?

    Rich

    RDavid, Jan 28, 2004
  4. For a book I love ASP.Net Unleashed by Stephen Walther.
    The Wrox books are usually great as well.

    Michael
    "RDavid" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I know I'll probably get a whole host of opinions, perhaps some vocal and
    > some not, but here goes.
    >
    > I've developed in VB for many years and only now have decided that I need

    > move into the 21st century. I want to try and identify a relatively

    decent
    > step by step process of moving into the ASP.Net world.
    >
    > I have weak skills with HTML but strong backend db understanding including
    > SQL server and ADO. Can I get some opinions (be nice) as to a path into
    > ASP.Net? Books? Training Courses (CD, I can't travel)? Hit and miss?
    >
    > I've used the MS newsgroups on and off for a long time and find that most
    > posters here are pretty knowledgeable so I'm hoping that I can take a lead
    > from everyone's past experiences.
    >

    > Thanks very much!!!
    >
    > Rich

    ---

    Michael Pearson, Jan 28, 2004
  5. RDavid

    Hermit Dave Guest

    I think that's been the most selling title ever from Wrox (think i remember
    Dave Sussman mentioning that)
    Extreme ? trust me i have used Wrox in past... they used to have stuff good
    for beginners
    if you want a bit more advanced... lemme know.. will find you something...

    --
    Regards,
    HD

    Hermit Dave, Jan 28, 2004
  6. RDavid

    Martin Guest

    Well, I think I had the same experience as you when I started. I started by
    looking at the tutorials on www.asp.net. After that I followed a course:
    Introduction to asp.net. That helped me a lot.
    This www.asp.net can be very helpfull, once you know your way in it.
    Especially the link at tutorials --> Web Forms Controls Reference.

    Martin, Jan 28, 2004
  7. RDavid

    JiangZemin Guest

    "RDavid" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I know I'll probably get a whole host of opinions, perhaps some vocal and
    > some not, but here goes.
    >
    > I've developed in VB for many years and only now have decided that I need

    > move into the 21st century. I want to try and identify a relatively

    decent
    > step by step process of moving into the ASP.Net world.
    >
    > I have weak skills with HTML but strong backend db understanding including
    > SQL server and ADO. Can I get some opinions (be nice) as to a path into
    > ASP.Net? Books? Training Courses (CD, I can't travel)? Hit and miss?
    >
    > I've used the MS newsgroups on and off for a long time and find that most
    > posters here are pretty knowledgeable so I'm hoping that I can take a lead
    > from everyone's past experiences.
    >

    > Thanks very much!!!
    >
    > Rich

    the IBuySpy kits are useful (as in they actually do something similar to
    real-world applications) and easy to get into:

    http://ibuyspy.com/Default.aspx?tabindex=5&tabid=42

    hope this helps

    JiangZemin, Jan 29, 2004