AlphaImageLoader Filter problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by CrackWilding, Jun 15, 2006.

  1. CrackWilding

    CrackWilding Guest

    This might not the best place for this, but what the heck. I've got a
    page that has a bunch of 24-bit PNG files with transparency. For IE I'm
    using the AlphaImageLoader filter to get around it's limitations with
    the format. I've been doing this for about a year, having seen Google
    successfully deploy the solution with Google Maps, and I've never had
    any problems with it.

    Well, now I've got a client that's having a problem. Some (not all,
    oddly) of the PNGs on his website are displaying with a bunch of black
    stuff on top, like a censor went over them with a black marker.
    Transparent PNGs do this when printing sometimes, but I've never seen
    it onscreen. The client is using IE6 on Windows XP. So I checked half a
    dozen computers with the same setup and haven't been able to reproduce
    the problem.

    The only difference I can detect is that he's using a Comcast
    co-branded copy of IE. I suspect that Comcast may have damaged
    something... who knows?

    Any thoughts? I can't post the site, unfortunately, but I've posted a
    screenshot of the problem here:

    http://saltydogdesign.com/usenet/blackstuff.jpg

    Cheers,
    cw
    CrackWilding, Jun 15, 2006

  2. CrackWilding

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "CrackWilding"
    <> vouchsafed:

    > This might not the best place for this, but what the heck. I've got a
    > page that has a bunch of 24-bit PNG files with transparency. For IE I'm
    > using the AlphaImageLoader filter to get around it's limitations with
    > the format. I've been doing this for about a year, having seen Google
    > successfully deploy the solution with Google Maps, and I've never had
    > any problems with it.
    >
    > Well, now I've got a client that's having a problem. Some (not all,
    > oddly) of the PNGs on his website are displaying with a bunch of black
    > stuff on top, like a censor went over them with a black marker.
    > Transparent PNGs do this when printing sometimes, but I've never seen
    > it onscreen. The client is using IE6 on Windows XP. So I checked half a
    > dozen computers with the same setup and haven't been able to reproduce
    > the problem.
    >
    > The only difference I can detect is that he's using a Comcast
    > co-branded copy of IE. I suspect that Comcast may have damaged
    > something... who knows?
    >
    > Any thoughts? I can't post the site, unfortunately, but I've posted a
    > screenshot of the problem here:
    >
    > http://saltydogdesign.com/usenet/blackstuff.jpg

    Have client try a different browser...?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, Jun 16, 2006

  3. CrackWilding

    Jim Higson Guest

    CrackWilding wrote:

    > This might not the best place for this, but what the heck. I've got a
    > page that has a bunch of 24-bit PNG files with transparency. For IE I'm
    > using the AlphaImageLoader filter to get around it's limitations with
    > the format. I've been doing this for about a year, having seen Google
    > successfully deploy the solution with Google Maps, and I've never had
    > any problems with it.
    >
    > Well, now I've got a client that's having a problem. Some (not all,
    > oddly) of the PNGs on his website are displaying with a bunch of black
    > stuff on top, like a censor went over them with a black marker.
    > Transparent PNGs do this when printing sometimes, but I've never seen
    > it onscreen. The client is using IE6 on Windows XP. So I checked half a
    > dozen computers with the same setup and haven't been able to reproduce
    > the problem.
    >
    > The only difference I can detect is that he's using a Comcast
    > co-branded copy of IE. I suspect that Comcast may have damaged
    > something... who knows?
    >
    > Any thoughts? I can't post the site, unfortunately, but I've posted a
    > screenshot of the problem here:

    A few ideas:

    1) The PNGs are indexed (paletised) - IE can't do transparent, indexed PNGs
    even with the AlphaImageLoader hack.

    2) IIRC, AlphaImageLoader has some hardware transparency stuff built in
    (could be wrong on this point), if this is so, perhaps it is a video card
    or drivers issue. I've seen bad graphics hardware cause similar problems in
    games.

    Good luck. Personally, I'd just ask the client to use a proper browser.

    --
    Jim
    Jim Higson, Jun 16, 2006
  4. CrackWilding

    CrackWilding Guest

    > 1) The PNGs are indexed (paletised) - IE can't do transparent, indexed PNGs
    > even with the AlphaImageLoader hack.

    Nope, they're 24-bit.

    > 2) IIRC, AlphaImageLoader has some hardware transparency stuff built in
    > (could be wrong on this point), if this is so, perhaps it is a video card
    > or drivers issue. I've seen bad graphics hardware cause similar problems in
    > games.

    Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. It looks a bit like a display
    driver problem.

    > Good luck. Personally, I'd just ask the client to use a proper browser.

    Well, an odd development has occurred. Today the guy loaded up the site
    and said it looks fine. So... go figure. Maybe he patched his video
    drivers or something.

    Anyway, thanks for the response.

    cw
    CrackWilding, Jun 16, 2006
  5. CrackWilding

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Jim Higson wrote:

    > 1) The PNGs are indexed (paletised) - IE can't do transparent, indexed PNGs
    > even with the AlphaImageLoader hack.

    No - quite the opposite. IE *can* do transparent, indexed PNGs, even
    *without* the AlphaImageLoader hack.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jun 16, 2006
  6. CrackWilding

    Jim Higson Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Jim Higson wrote:
    >
    >> 1) The PNGs are indexed (paletised) - IE can't do transparent, indexed
    >> PNGs even with the AlphaImageLoader hack.

    > No - quite the opposite. IE *can* do transparent, indexed PNGs, even
    > *without* the AlphaImageLoader hack.

    No it can't. At least, not properly.

    It can do indexed, transparent PNGs with binary transparency (each pixel
    either shown or not) but not an image using a proper RGBA palette. Even
    with an AlphaImageLoader hack it just shows them using binary transparency.

    I can post an example if you like.

    --
    Jim
    Jim Higson, Jun 17, 2006
  7. CrackWilding

    Jim Higson Guest

    Jim Higson wrote:

    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> Jim Higson wrote:
    >>
    >>> 1) The PNGs are indexed (paletised) - IE can't do transparent, indexed
    >>> PNGs even with the AlphaImageLoader hack.

    >> No - quite the opposite. IE *can* do transparent, indexed PNGs, even
    >> *without* the AlphaImageLoader hack.

    > No it can't. At least, not properly.
    >
    > It can do indexed, transparent PNGs with binary transparency (each pixel
    > either shown or not) but not an image using a proper RGBA palette. Even
    > with an AlphaImageLoader hack it just shows them using binary
    > transparency.
    >
    > I can post an example if you like.

    Ok, here's a good example: take a look at:

    http://surfcore.co.uk/user/1

    See how in IE the shadow on the avitar is missing in IE but shown in every
    other browser? I let this pass because it still doesn't look too bad and I
    think the trade off for the smaller file size is worth it.

    If you know a way it can be shown properly in IE without converting the
    image to 32-bit, please let me know!

    Also, if anyone can test how it looks in IE7 I'd be very interested in the
    result.

    --
    Jim
    Jim Higson, Jun 17, 2006
  8. CrackWilding

    Frank Olieu Guest

    Jim Higson <> wrote in

    > Jim Higson wrote:
    > Ok, here's a good example: take a look at:
    >
    > http://surfcore.co.uk/user/1

    Shows *no* images in IE6. IE7 looks OK at first, but on mouse-over I get a
    hatched background...

    Not quite sure it applies to your case, but try have a look at
    http://koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/

    --
    Venlig hilsen | Kind regards | Cordialement
    Frank
    Frank Olieu, Jun 17, 2006
  9. CrackWilding

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Jim Higson wrote:

    > It can do indexed, transparent PNGs with binary transparency (each pixel
    > either shown or not) but not an image using a proper RGBA palette.

    Ah -- I was referring to indexed PNGs with binary transparency.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./damien_rice/o/03_the_blowers_daughter.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Jun 17, 2006