"Alt "in different language

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, May 29, 2005.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, May 29, 2005

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero, May 29, 2005

  3. "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > Can I write a description of each photo on the webpage
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/
    > in several language within "alt"?

    You can, but you should not. The main purpose of "alt" is
    accessibility, and throwing some text in two languages at a user causes
    problems to many. After all, there are _millions_ of people who only
    know _one_ language!

    To do their primary job well, "alt" texts should be as short as
    possible (but not shorter).

    Besides, the "alt" attribute should be a description, but a
    replacement. In a photo gallery, it needs to serve mainly the secondary
    function of identification. It by no means makes an image _caption_
    unnecessary.

    > Or should I use perhaps "longdesc"?

    No. It is an exercise in utility: no proven usefulness in practice, and
    a questionable idea from the beginning.

    > Or what else?

    Create versions of the page in different languages, using whatever
    tools you find suitable.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, May 29, 2005
  4. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Can I write a description of each photo on the webpage
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/
    > > in several language within "alt"?
    > > Or should I use perhaps "longdesc"?

    > No. It is an exercise in utility: no proven usefulness in practice, and
    > a questionable idea from the beginning.

    What's wrong with longdesc? They're extremely useful for images that
    require more than a simple description to convey the important information.
    For example maps.

    --
    Richard Quick
    http://www.chocolatemagazine.co.uk

    Richard Quick, May 29, 2005
  5. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Can I write a description of each photo on the webpage
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/
    > > in several language within "alt"?

    > You can, but you should not. The main purpose of "alt" is
    > accessibility, and throwing some text in two languages at a user causes
    > problems to many. After all, there are _millions_ of people who only
    > know _one_ language!

    > To do their primary job well, "alt" texts should be as short as
    > possible (but not shorter).
    >
    > Besides, the "alt" attribute should be a description, but a
    > replacement. In a photo gallery, it needs to serve mainly the secondary
    > function of identification. It by no means makes an image _caption_
    > unnecessary.
    >
    > > Or should I use perhaps "longdesc"?

    > No. It is an exercise in utility: no proven usefulness in practice, and
    > a questionable idea from the beginning.
    >
    > > Or what else?

    > Create versions of the page in different languages, using whatever
    > tools you find suitable.

    Well, actually, I did not formulate the question in a proper way.
    When I asked whether I could write the text in different languages, I meant
    the text on the homepage which relates to the pictures which are shown on
    it.
    On the one hand I find it good to insert pictures on the first page because
    it can make the homepage more attractive, on the other hand, the problem is
    how to make it understandable to all of users.
    Otherwise I should change the look of all the introduction pages which
    follow such as https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/välkommen.php
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/de/willkommen.php
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/en/welcome.php
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/benvenuti.php
    and so on and put the pictures which are on
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.html there too.

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 29, 2005
  6. "Richard Quick" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Can I write a description of each photo on the webpage
    > > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/
    > > > in several language within "alt"?
    > > > Or should I use perhaps "longdesc"?

    > > No. It is an exercise in utility: no proven usefulness in practice, and
    > > a questionable idea from the beginning.
    > >

    > What's wrong with longdesc? They're extremely useful for images that
    > require more than a simple description to convey the important

    information.
    > For example maps.

    Yes, they are probably but can they be used for the use of multiple
    languages describing images on the homepage?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 29, 2005
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 10:15:12 +0100, "Richard Quick"
    <> wrote:

    >What's wrong with longdesc?

    The first thing to note with longdesc is that it isn't a string, it's a
    URI - a reference to another location where you can put a longer string
    (or indeed a whole web page). Although it's common to put a few paras
    of text into the longdesc attribute, that's just plain wrong.

    Secondly, these uri-referenced description schemes ("d links" are
    similar) have the problem that the break any useful linkage between the
    object and its description. If the description page is indexed, the
    target URI for this is then that of the description, not the object
    itself (so only put one description on each page, and give a good
    backward link to the real target).

    Andy Dingley, May 29, 2005
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Richard Quick wrote:
    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >
    >> [longdesc] is an exercise in utility: no proven usefulness in practice,
    >> and a questionable idea from the beginning.

    Assuming "utility" should read "futility".

    > What's wrong with longdesc?

    Perhaps the fact that it has next to zero actual browser support?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, May 29, 2005