    KeyEvent implies that a 'key typed' KeyEvent should occur for these,
    but it's not clear whether additional work is needed to retrieve
    them.

    Richard Trahan, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Richard Trahan

    Dave Glasser Guest

    FWIW, I just typed Alt+0225 in a JTextField and I got ï.

    Richard Trahan <> wrote on Sat, 26 Jul 2003
    15:44:51 -0400 in comp.lang.java.programmer:

    >Why don't Alt-numpad characters echo in a JTextField? For example, if
    >I type Alt+0225, I should get á, but nothing happens. The API for
    >KeyEvent implies that a 'key typed' KeyEvent should occur for these,
    >but it's not clear whether additional work is needed to retrieve
    >them.

    ----
    Check out QueryForm, a free, open source, Java/Swing-based
    front end for relational databases.

    http://qform.sourceforge.net

    Dave Glasser, Jul 27, 2003

  3. Dave Glasser wrote:

    > FWIW, I just typed Alt+0225 in a JTextField and I got ï.

    FWIW, you got the wrong character. It should be á.

    Richard Trahan, Jul 27, 2003
  4. Richard Trahan

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 15:44:51 -0400, Richard Trahan
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >Why don't Alt-numpad characters echo in a JTextField? For example, if
    >I type Alt+0225, I should get á, but nothing happens. The API for
    >KeyEvent implies that a 'key typed' KeyEvent should occur for these,
    >but it's not clear whether additional work is needed to retrieve
    >them.

    you can experiment with Keyplayer at
    http://mindprod.com/products.html#KEYPLAYER to find out what events
    are happening when you hit various keys.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 30, 2003
  5. Richard Trahan

    Tukla Ratte Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:59:07 GMT, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:

    < snip >

    > you can experiment with Keyplayer at
    > http://mindprod.com/products.html#KEYPLAYER to find out what events
    > are happening when you hit various keys.

    Roedy, is there anything that *isn't* on your site?

    And if you answer this by sending me a link to your site, I will have
    to pull my hair out. >:cool:

    --
    Tukla, Squeaker of Chew Toys
    Official Mascot of Alt.Atheism

    Tukla Ratte, Jul 31, 2003
  6. Richard Trahan

    Roedy Green Guest

    Java Glossary

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:55:54 GMT, (Tukla Ratte)
    wrote or quoted :

    >Roedy, is there anything that *isn't* on your site?

    I've been adding to the glossary almost daily since 1995. I too am
    often surprised what I find in there that I forgot I wrote.

    I get emails from people who land somewhere on the NON Java part and
    they emerge several days later, intrigued chasing ideas.

    I see various things in newsgroups I don't recognise. Struts for
    example has not yet made it to the glossary. I have no clue what it
    is. It has a name designed to make it hard to Google.

    I don't like to write about something until I am fairly sure I know
    what I am talking about. I get vicious blasts for even the most minor
    errors. Yet all new entries are about new things I am just learning
    too.

    People won't supply text for the glossary, but they are fairly good
    about bawling me out for saying something wrong or that they disagree
    with. So sometimes I just put out my best understanding and wait for
    the feedback blasts to correct it.

    My goal is just to get people started, to give them an overview of
    what something is for, and also the few gotchas they are likely to
    trip over when they start implementing. There is plenty of detailed
    docs. I try to provide the bird's eye view and just enough to
    demystify to encourage experimentation.

    If people would document their packages in a top down way the way
    Freemarker was done, much of what I do would be unnecessary. The irony
    is the best documentation of a Java app in English was done by a
    Hungarian. It has a few strange bits of Hunglish syntax, but the
    methodical way it explains what each tool is for before getting into
    the details of how to use the tool makes it a joy to read. Most people
    writing are far too afraid of simple examples. I think they imagine
    examples detract from the dignity and magnificent generality of their
    work.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Aug 2, 2003
  7. Richard Trahan

    Eric Guest

    Re: Java Glossary

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:55:54 GMT, (Tukla Ratte)
    > wrote or quoted :
    >

    > I see various things in newsgroups I don't recognise. Struts for
    > example has not yet made it to the glossary. I have no clue what it
    > is. It has a name designed to make it hard to Google.

    Framework for building web applications within the model-view-controller
    architecture.

    http://jakarta.apache.org/struts

    Eric, Aug 2, 2003
  8. Richard Trahan

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: Java Glossary

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 09:37:52 GMT, Eric <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >ramework for building web applications within the model-view-controller
    >architecture.
    >
    >http://jakarta.apache.org/struts

    thanks. As a result of that push there are now entries for
    Struts, MVC, ResourceBundle and JSF.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Aug 3, 2003