ALT tag in FireFox?

?

anyone has got idea, how to show hint string on web page?

in IE, ALT tag works fine, in FireFox it doesn't : (

saz

anyone has got idea, how to show hint string on web page?

in IE, ALT tag works fine, in FireFox it doesn't : (
alt tag on mouseover is not supported in FF, but title is. alt tags in
FF only displays if the image does not load.

Richard Brooks

saz said:
alt tag on mouseover is not supported in FF, but title is. alt tags
in FF only displays if the image does not load.

I think I read in the Firefox bumph somewhere that Firefox is keeping to W3C
compliancy and using ALT as it was meant to be used.

It's a good road to get back to if IE has allowed us over the years to write
in a way we shouldn't be doing. I know this full well! ;-)

Richard.

Jonathan N. Little

saz said:
alt tag on mouseover is not supported in FF, but title is. alt tags in
FF only displays if the image does not load.

Which is what I believe the intended purpose of the ALT tag was, to
display an alternate description of the image if the image was either
missing or unavailable for text-only browsers.

Use TITLE and if you want to include the small sample of legacy browsers
4x browsers that displayed the ALT as a tool tip duplicate in the ALT tag.

Dave Patton

... said:
anyone has got idea, how to show hint string on web page?

in IE, ALT tag works fine, in FireFox it doesn't : (

IE does it wrong, FF does it correctly.
The ALT tag contents are intended as text to be
used when the image cannot be displayed, not as
a "tooltip".

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Jonathan N. Little"
Which is what I believe the intended purpose of the ALT tag was, to
display an alternate description of the image if the image was either
missing or unavailable for text-only browsers.

I just wish that if loading the image does happen to fail, FF showed
the alt text with some sort of "missing image" icon, not just the
plain text on its own.

jake

... <[email protected]> said:
anyone has got idea, how to show hint string on web page?

in IE, ALT tag works fine, in FireFox it doesn't : (
In all cases (including IE) you should be using the contents of
"TITLE=........." for the tool-tip.

"ALT=......" is the image description -- designed to be displayed when
the image can't.

IE just happens to display the ALT contents if it can't find a TITLE
(whether it should or shouldn't is a subject for debate -- but not by me
;-)

regards.

Leif K-Brooks

Andy said:
I just wish that if loading the image does happen to fail, FF showed
the alt text with some sort of "missing image" icon, not just the
plain text on its own.

Why? If the alt text really replaces the image's content, why would the
visitor care whether there was an image that failed to load?

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Leif K-Brooks
Why? If the alt text really replaces the image's content,

It doesn't - there's supposed to be an image, the author wanted one,
the browser user wanted one, but the network failed to deliver it. The
text is a partial substitute, not a perfect replacement for it - the
user should still be notified.

n|ck

Leif said:
Why? If the alt text really replaces the image's content, why would the
visitor care whether there was an image that failed to load?

In some cases, the layout may not look right if the dimensions of the image are
not set. I believe that in FF, the image dimensions are not set if the image is
not found. It's pretty annoying - I guess you could style the dimensions if you
had to but I haven't tested that and don't know if it works.

Blinky the Shark

n|ck said:
Leif K-Brooks wrote:
In some cases, the layout may not look right if the dimensions of the image are
not set. I believe that in FF, the image dimensions are not set if the image is
not found. It's pretty annoying - I guess you could style the dimensions if you
had to but I haven't tested that and don't know if it works.

FF 1.01/Linux, here: right -- the defined dimensions aren't rendered as an empty
box if image not found.

Toby Inkster

Blinky said:
FF 1.01/Linux, here: right -- the defined dimensions aren't rendered as
an empty box if image not found.

With Opera, the defined dimensions are rendered if the image doesn't load,
but are ignored if the user has disabled images.

Andy Dingley

In some cases, the layout may not look right if the dimensions of the image are
not set.

I don't mind that - the page is broken, the layout can break too. But
I'd like some clear feedback that the page _is_ broken (i.e. there
ought to be an image there).

Blinky the Shark

Toby said:
Blinky the Shark wrote:
With Opera, the defined dimensions are rendered if the image doesn't
load, but are ignored if the user has disabled images.

To similarly round out my own comment: With FF the defined dimensions
are also not rendered as an empty box if user has disabled images.

data64

I don't mind that - the page is broken, the layout can break too. But
I'd like some clear feedback that the page _is_ broken (i.e. there
ought to be an image there).

Except that with the popular practise of blocking ads using a hosts file,
this becomes undesirable.

data64

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when data64 said:
Except that with the popular practise of blocking ads using a hosts file,
this becomes undesirable.

I don't think this is necessarily such a bad thing. Even if I don't
want ads, a small icon and any alt text (as IE does it) isn't too
offensive.

What I don't like about FF's behaviour is that's impossible for me to
tell that there _should_ have been an image there. This can make many
pages misleading.

Blinky the Shark

I don't think this is necessarily such a bad thing. Even if I don't
want ads, a small icon and any alt text (as IE does it) isn't too
offensive.
What I don't like about FF's behaviour is that's impossible for me to
tell that there _should_ have been an image there. This can make many
pages misleading.

Might want to try the AdBlock extension, set to retain the spaces the ads
would use.

Richard Brooks

Richard said:
I think I read in the Firefox bumph somewhere that Firefox is keeping
to W3C compliancy and using ALT as it was meant to be used.

It's a good road to get back to if IE has allowed us over the years
to write in a way we shouldn't be doing. I know this full well! ;-)
[Added]

I found this printout as I'm having to rewrite my lazy coding.

<http://www.computergripes.com/firefoxsites.html>

It might be interesting to you.

Richard.

Joined
Oct 26, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Leif K-Brooks said:
Andy Dingley wrote:
> I just wish that if loading the image does happen to fail, FF showed
> the alt text with some sort of "missing image" icon, not just the
> plain text on its own.

Why? If the alt text really replaces the image's content, why would the
visitor care whether there was an image that failed to load?
As a person who used the internet in 1995 and for the sake of speed people over 14.4 or 28.8 dialup would turn off image loading. Alt tags can allow you to still use the graphic navigation buttons and so forth. I know that is wicked old school but I'm sure that is why the option still exists today.

My question would be, do website "readers" for the visually impaired read the TITLE tag? I had always worked form the premise that they read from the ALT tag.