alt text.

James Helliwell

If I add images with CSS (as a background to a class)I cant add alt text?

I add a image to <HTML img src=etc and I can.

AS alt text is good for SEO, im wodering which is best??
I thought it was best to sperate all content from layout with CSS?

Cheers
James
--
James Helliwell
Firespin Design

SpaceGirl

James said:
If I add images with CSS (as a background to a class)I cant add alt text?

I add a image to <HTML img src=etc and I can.

AS alt text is good for SEO, im wodering which is best??
I thought it was best to sperate all content from layout with CSS?

Cheers
James

I dont think alt text makes much difference to search engine results -
it's really just there for accessibility. There's no CSS equivelant,
however you CAN add title='' on many HTML elements, including <div> or

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

Els

James said:
If I add images with CSS (as a background to a class)I cant add alt text?

I add a image to <HTML img src=etc and I can.

AS alt text is good for SEO, im wodering which is best??
I thought it was best to sperate all content from layout with CSS?

Background images aren't part of the content, so they don't "deserve"
alt-text. If an image is so important that an alt-text should be given
for people who don't load images, it shouldn't be a background image.

Wÿrm

"James Helliwell" <[email protected]> kirjoitti
viestissä:[email protected]...

AS alt text is good for SEO, im wodering which is best??

Alt text for image is ignored unless that image is a link, so in SEO point
of view trying to fool search engines with spamming keywords to alt text is
useless. Old trick that search engines sorted out long time ago.

<snip>

Daniel R. Tobias

James said:
If I add images with CSS (as a background to a class)I cant add alt text?

I add a image to <HTML img src=etc and I can.

AS alt text is good for SEO, im wodering which is best??
I thought it was best to sperate all content from layout with CSS?

Well, if the image is part of the content, then it shouldn't be in the
CSS (since, as you say, CSS is designed to separate content from
presentation). And if the image is *not* part of the content (it's
purely there for a visual decorative effect as part of the
presentation), it has no need for ALT text, since the purpose of ALT
text is to substitute for the image in the case of users not displaying
the image (text and speech browsers, etc.).

James Helliwell

Els said:
James Helliwell wrote:

Background images aren't part of the content, so they don't "deserve"
alt-text. If an image is so important that an alt-text should be given
for people who don't load images, it shouldn't be a background image.

Smashing chap :) Exactly the description I wanted.
Cheers mate
James

--

Wÿrm said:
"James Helliwell" <[email protected]> kirjoitti
viestissä:[email protected]...

Alt text for image is ignored unless that image is a link, so in SEO point
of view trying to fool search engines with spamming keywords to alt text is
useless. Old trick that search engines sorted out long time ago.

<snip>

Hmm wasnt going to do that!

--

Daniel said:
Well, if the image is part of the content, then it shouldn't be in the
CSS (since, as you say, CSS is designed to separate content from
presentation). And if the image is *not* part of the content (it's
purely there for a visual decorative effect as part of the
presentation), it has no need for ALT text, since the purpose of ALT
text is to substitute for the image in the case of users not displaying
the image (text and speech browsers, etc.).

Thanks Dan, Cleared that up for me well.
Cheers
James

--

SpaceGirl said:
I dont think alt text makes much difference to search engine results -
it's really just there for accessibility. There's no CSS equivelant,
however you CAN add title='' on many HTML elements, including <div> or

Didnt know that, thanks as yes <div> and <span>.

Thanks you
Miranda

--
James Helliwell
Firespin Design
w. www.firespin.co.uk
West Sussex Company specializing in
Web, Print Design, Illustration,
Hosting services and Support.
Affordable prices.

Stewart Gordon

Wÿrm said:
"James Helliwell" <[email protected]> kirjoitti
viestissä:[email protected]...

Alt text for image is ignored unless that image is a link,

Except in Google by the looks of it. Try: Stewart Gordon "it's Elliot"
so in SEO point of view trying to fool search engines with spamming keywords to alt text is
useless. Old trick that search engines sorted out long time ago.

The OP didn't mention anything about keyword spamming.

Stewart.

--

the 'group where everyone may benefit.