alter the download settings of mozilla firefox browser usingjavascript

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Rakhi, Apr 3, 2008.

  1. Rakhi

    Rakhi Guest

    hello

    i want to alter the download settings of mozilla firefox browser using
    javascript of my application !!

    wat is happenin in my application is, on calling a method , it make a
    file ready to be downloaded . and the browser gives the download
    window ,like.., save file or open file etc.. as we generally see.

    i want the browser to ask the location to the user .. as to where he
    wud like to save the file.

    this can be done manually in firefox.. by goin to " tools" and its
    "options" and changing the setings in the "main"

    is it possible to change this settin using javascript.. ?????

    any help wud be useful..

    thanks
    Rakhi, Apr 3, 2008

  2. Rakhi

    Erwin Moller Guest

    Rakhi schreef:
    > hello
    >
    > i want to alter the download settings of mozilla firefox browser using
    > javascript of my application !!
    >
    > wat is happenin in my application is, on calling a method , it make a
    > file ready to be downloaded . and the browser gives the download
    > window ,like.., save file or open file etc.. as we generally see.
    >
    > i want the browser to ask the location to the user .. as to where he
    > wud like to save the file.
    >
    > this can be done manually in firefox.. by goin to " tools" and its
    > "options" and changing the setings in the "main"
    >
    > is it possible to change this settin using javascript.. ?????
    >
    > any help wud be useful..
    >
    > thanks

    Hi Rakhi,

    I never saw anything to modify this default save folder using JavaScript.
    I don't expect such a thing exists either because you own filesystem has
    nothing to do with the ideas of of the author of some webpage.
    It should be a client preference.

    Also, it would make it very easy to infect webnewbies with all kind of
    malware, simply by offering a download, and then overwrite some
    important systemfile by modifying the path.

    Why do you need such a thing anyway?

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller
    Erwin Moller, Apr 3, 2008