Alternate Webservice BIN Directory

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Anthony C, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. Anthony C

    Anthony C Guest

    Is it possible to change the BIN directory to be something else on the
    PC?

    Namely, we're using single directory deployment for a base app. The
    web services allow other clients to get data from the client on my PC.
    Since the webservice references a few middle tier objects, I want the
    webservice to reside in the same folder (so I do not need to deploy
    the middle tier objects twice).

    Is this possible?

    In other words, instead of having

    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\application and
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\application\bin

    I want

    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\application and
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\application\custombindirectory

    Anthony C, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Anthony C

    Jan Tielens Guest

    Probably the <codebase> element (Specifies where the common language runtime
    can find an assembly). can help you out:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgenref/ht
    ml/gngrfcodebase.asp
    For the runtime to use the <codeBase> setting in a machine configuration
    file or publisher policy file, the file must also redirect the assembly
    version. Application configuration files can have a codebase setting without
    redirecting the assembly version. After determining which assembly version
    to use, the runtime applies the codebase setting from the file that
    determines the version. If no codebase is indicated, the runtime probes for
    the assembly in the usual way.

    If the assembly has a strong name, the codebase setting can be anywhere on
    the local intranet or the Internet. If the assembly is a private assembly,
    the codebase setting must be a path relative to the application's directory.

    For assemblies without a strong name, version is ignored and the loader uses
    the first appearance of <codebase> inside <dependentAssembly>. If there is
    an entry in the application configuration file that redirects binding to
    another assembly, the redirection will take precedence even if the assembly
    version doesn't match the binding request.

    --
    Greetz

    Jan Tielens
    ________________________________

    Jan Tielens, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Anthony C

    MSFT Guest

    I agree with Christian , this is not working in ASP.NET application. We
    have to put the assembly in the BIN forder or just define it in asmx file.
    Form MSDN:

    @ WebService Directive in XML Web Services

    Defines XML Web service specific (.asmx file) attributes used by the
    ASP.NET parser and compiler.

    <%@ WebService attribute="value" [attribute="value"¡­] %>

    Attributes

    Class

    Specifies the class implementing the XML Web service that is automatically
    compiled the first time the XML Web service is accessed after changes. This
    value can be any valid class name residing in either the same file as the
    WebService directive or within a separate file. If the class resides in a
    separate file, it must be placed in the \Bin directory underneath the Web
    application where the XML Web service resides. This attribute is required
    for the XML Web service to compile.

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security