Alternating failure on long request executions

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Brad Wood, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. Brad Wood

    Brad Wood Guest

    <environment>
    Consuming a web service from a VS2005 beta 2 test harness on WinXP. Web
    service built with VS2003 running on my machine with IIS 5X set to use
    ASP.NET 1.1
    </environment>

    I have a web service that creates a thread for each request in an input
    document. Each thread then makes an HttpWebRequest.GetResponse call.

    When only one request is submitted in the input doc all is fine.

    When several requests are sent in the input doc, the call to the service
    takes over 2 minutes to complete. In these cases everything works fine
    on every other attempt (success, failure, success, failure). When it
    fails, ASP.NET returns:

    "The XML file [path to machine.config] could not be loaded. Attempted to
    access an unloaded AppDomain."

    Most previous threads related to this problem had to do with unmanaged
    C++ extensions in .net 1X. I tried increasing the
    responseDeadlockInterval attribute in machine.config.

    It sure seems to be related to ASP.NET behavior on long request
    executions, but I don't know what else to look at...

    <stackDump>
    [AppDomainUnloadedException]: Attempted to access an unloaded AppDomain.
    at System.Threading.Thread.SetCompressedStackInternal(IntPtr
    unmanagedCompressedStack)
    at System.Threading.Thread.SetCompressedStack(CompressedStack stack)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.CreateScanner()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Init()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
    at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
    at System.Web.Configuration.XmlUtil.OpenXmlTextReader()
    at System.Web.Configuration.HttpConfigurationRecord..ctor(String
    filename, HttpConfigurationRecord parent, Boolean inheritable, String
    path, String mappedPhysicalPath)
    [ConfigurationException]: The XML file [machine.config] could not be
    loaded. Attempted to access an unloaded AppDomain. ([machine.config])
    at
    System.Web.Configuration.HttpConfigurationSystem.CacheLookup(String vpath)
    at
    System.Web.Configuration.HttpConfigurationSystem.ComposeConfig(String
    reqPath, IHttpMapPath configmap)
    at System.Web.HttpContext.GetCompleteConfigRecord(String reqpath,
    IHttpMapPath configmap)
    at System.Web.HttpContext.GetCompleteConfig(String path)
    at System.Web.HttpContext.GetAppLKGConfig(String name)
    </stackDump>

    Brad Wood, Dec 3, 2005