alternative python compilers/vms? (like java)

project2501

are there alternative compilers for python? or different VMs to run the
bytecode?

similar to IBM java jvm and sun jvm, and other jvms? jikes, gcj?

Diez B. Roggisch

project2501 said:
are there alternative compilers for python? or different VMs to run the
bytecode?

similar to IBM java jvm and sun jvm, and other jvms? jikes, gcj?

there is jython, a very popular python 2.1 implementation on top of the java
vm.

Apart from that, AFAIX python is not specified in terms of a vm, as jva is.
The bytecode might actually change between versions.

Yermat

Diez B. Roggisch a écrit :
project2501 wrote:

there is jython, a very popular python 2.1 implementation on top of the java
vm.

Apart from that, AFAIX python is not specified in terms of a vm, as java is.
The bytecode might actually change between versions.

There is also IronPython for .NET.

By now, the python byte code is considered as "an implementation detail"
that is why it is not specified...
It might disappear in the future... or not. ;-)

So it seems that we cannot rely on it for whatever purpose !