    are there alternative compilers for python? or different VMs to run the
    bytecode?

    similar to IBM java jvm and sun jvm, and other jvms? jikes, gcj?

    project2501, Apr 22, 2004

  2. project2501 wrote:

    > are there alternative compilers for python? or different VMs to run the
    > bytecode?
    >
    > similar to IBM java jvm and sun jvm, and other jvms? jikes, gcj?

    there is jython, a very popular python 2.1 implementation on top of the java
    vm.

    Apart from that, AFAIX python is not specified in terms of a vm, as jva is.
    The bytecode might actually change between versions.

    --
    Regards,

    Diez B. Roggisch

    Diez B. Roggisch, Apr 22, 2004

  3. project2501

    Yermat Guest

    Diez B. Roggisch a écrit :
    > project2501 wrote:
    >

    >>are there alternative compilers for python? or different VMs to run the
    >>bytecode?
    >>
    >>similar to IBM java jvm and sun jvm, and other jvms? jikes, gcj?

    > there is jython, a very popular python 2.1 implementation on top of the java
    > vm.
    >
    > Apart from that, AFAIX python is not specified in terms of a vm, as java is.
    > The bytecode might actually change between versions.

    There is also IronPython for .NET.

    By now, the python byte code is considered as "an implementation detail"
    that is why it is not specified...
    It might disappear in the future... or not. ;-)

    So it seems that we cannot rely on it for whatever purpose !

    --
    Yermat

    Yermat, Apr 22, 2004
  4. project2501

    Larry Bates Guest

    You might also want to look at Jython. It is Python turned
    to Java bytecodes. Then you can use other VMs.

    http://www.jython.org/

    Larry Bates
    Syscon, Inc.

    Larry Bates, Apr 22, 2004
  5. In article <c68u44$1fql$>,
    Yermat <1.nerim.net> wrote:
    >Diez B. Roggisch a écrit :
    >> project2501 wrote:
    >>

    >>>are there alternative compilers for python? or different VMs to run the
    >>>bytecode?
    >>>
    >>>similar to IBM java jvm and sun jvm, and other jvms? jikes, gcj?

    >> there is jython, a very popular python 2.1 implementation on top of the java
    >> vm.
    >>
    >> Apart from that, AFAIX python is not specified in terms of a vm, as java is.
    >> The bytecode might actually change between versions.
    >>

    >There is also IronPython for .NET.
    >
    >By now, the python byte code is considered as "an implementation detail"
    >that is why it is not specified...
    >It might disappear in the future... or not. ;-)
    >
    >So it seems that we cannot rely on it for whatever purpose !
    >
    >--
    >Yermat

    might interest the original questioner.
    --