Alternative querystring - using / instead of ? and &

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by royend@gmail.com, Feb 13, 2007.

  1. Guest

    , Feb 13, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Hi.
    > Is is possible to pass parameters with this URL:
    > www.mysite.com/article/sports/football
    >
    > instead of the usual method:
    > www.mysite.com/article.asp?category=sports&subcategory=football
    >
    > And, if I need to add more parameters at a later time, may I then use
    > something like:
    > www.mysite.com/article/sports/football/?id=321&language=EN
    >
    > Also, I am using ASP, not ASP.NET.

    You can use a custom 404 handler to parse requests in the manner you desire.
    We used to do this a lot when our company used GroupWise instead of Outlook
    (GroupWise apparently didn't know what a querystring was until a couple of
    years ago, but didn't mind URLs with long paths).

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Feb 13, 2007

  3. The best way to do this is to use an ISAPI filter. There are a few free ones
    out there, but I personally bought ISAPI_Rewrite which works really well and
    is stable.

    You can find it at:
    http://www.helicontech.com/

    If you search for "ISAPI URL rewrite" on google, you will find a few free
    ones. If you couldn't find one, reply to this and I'll find you the free
    ones as well. But I recommend the above one because it is more stable with
    heavier loads.

    PS. Don't use the 404 rewrites, because the user will actually be redirected
    which will show an ugly URL when this happens.

    Farshad Hemmati, Feb 14, 2007
  4. Evertjan. Guest

    Farshad Hemmati wrote on 14 feb 2007 in

    > PS. Don't use the 404 rewrites, because the user will actually be
    > redirected which will show an ugly URL when this happens.

    But, as I do and you [general] should,
    you use bitstream or server.transfer,
    the original URL-string will be shown where no actual file exists.

    All my pdf files are virtual,
    as I first want to count, look at the referrer,
    and then send the pdf bitstream with proper headers.

    The same goes for nonexisting img-s where a standart jpg is shown
    on some of my websites.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.