    say, ALLOW the user to CHOOSE to click and play the song, which will
    be HTML 4.01 legal, and which will discourage, if not prevent,
    wholesale downloading of the song?
    ZenSojourner, Aug 30, 2004

  2. ZenSojourner

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On 30 Aug 2004 00:22:36 -0700, ZenSojourner <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > say, ALLOW the user to CHOOSE to click and play the song, which will
    > be HTML 4.01 legal,

    > and which will discourage, if not prevent,
    > wholesale downloading of the song?

    How is the user supposed to listen to it without downloading it?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Aug 30, 2004

  3. ZenSojourner

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > The former web designer of the pages I'm working on used an older
    > version of DreamWeaver to set up the pages. She used the MS extension
    > <bgsound> to get a song to play in the background of the main page.
    > Since (1) this is not HTML 4.01 standard and (2) I personally hate
    > songs that play in the background anyway, but since (3) the page
    > owners think this song is really cool, what alternatives do I have to,
    > say, ALLOW the user to CHOOSE to click and play the song, which will
    > be HTML 4.01 legal, and which will discourage, if not prevent,
    > wholesale downloading of the song?

    Make about 4 pages using <bgsound>. Go into your boss's computer and
    turn the sound up really really loud. Then hide the sound icon so he
    can not turn it off fast. Then send him the links.

    After he has had the speakers blare with the obnoxious music. Tell him
    "That, that is what our customers have to deal with. Can I remove he
    <bgsound> now?" (0_o)
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free
    WebcastMaker, Aug 30, 2004
  4. ZenSojourner

    Richard B Guest

    Re: adding sound (mp3) in web page

    In constructing a web page using html coding (with a text editor) how is
    sound in the form of mp3s integrated into a web page?

    Do you need to use an absolute address for sound files to work or will a
    relative address suffice?

    Furthermore, does the coding need to be placed in the <HEAD> section or only
    within the <BODY> section.

    Richard B:)
    Richard B, Aug 30, 2004
  5. ZenSojourner

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Richard B" <> wrote in message
    > In constructing a web page using html coding (with a text editor) how is
    > sound in the form of mp3s integrated into a web page?
    >
    > Do you need to use an absolute address for sound files to work or will a
    > relative address suffice?
    >
    > Furthermore, does the coding need to be placed in the <HEAD> section or

    only
    > within the <BODY> section.
    >
    > Richard B:)

    What we hate on the web:
    http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/02/0528.html
    41.9% of survey respondents will avoid sites that automatically play music.

    Ways to irritate your visitors and drive them away.
    http://www.domainnamestuffetc.com/process_101_p3.htm

    Why Playing Music on your Web Site is a Bad Idea
    http://www.wowwebdesigns.com/power_guides/music_off.php

    Dan's Web Tips: Sounds
    http://webtips.dan.info/sounds.html

    Web Browsing Pet Peeves
    http://www.j-walk.com/ss/about/petpeeves.htm

    13 Design rules that every Web site designer should know about
    http://www.builderau.com.au/webdev/sitedesign/0,39024698,20265086,00.htm

    Mortal Sins of Web Design
    http://www.weballey.net/sins.html

    How Do I Incorporate Sound Into My Website?
    The right answer to this question is: You don't.
    To put it bluntly, your business is with the visitor's browser, not with
    their speakers. Playing music on your site is a great way to alienate people
    and keep them from coming back.

    Consider these scenerios:
    1.. Visitor "A" is goofing off at work. Congratulations, you just got him
    in trouble with his boss when he landed on your site and had a song
    automatically play as soon as the page loaded.
    2.. Visitor "B" is listening to his own CD. Congratulations, you just made
    him angry because he now has two songs playing simultaneously, neither of
    which sound good anymore because they're both running together.
    3.. Visitor "C" simply doesn't share your taste in music. He decides to
    click away because he doesn't want to be subjected to a song he doesn't
    like.
    In any of the above cases, NOBODY is going to take the time to reach over
    and turn down their speakers or fumble with his task bar just to avoid your
    music. They're just going to click away and go to a site whose webmaster
    understands not to intrude upon them like that.

    I'll bet ANYONE my month's paycheck that we can take a sample of any 100
    sites with autoloading music vs. 100 sites without and the "sessions" and
    "repeat visits" of the no-music sites will be a higher ratio compared to
    overall hits. If you're a band or otherwise in the business of music and
    you'd like to share samples of your work, by all means, do so. However,
    music should be provided ONLY by giving the visitor a choice to listen to
    the song before the actual music begins. Please note: Giving them a choice
    to turn the music OFF is not the correct option.

    By following the above advice - incorporating sound is simple. Provide a
    link as you would any other file. Like so:

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Aug 30, 2004
  6. ZenSojourner

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus, Aug 30, 2004
  7. Re: adding sound (mp3) in web page

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:09:58 +0930, "Richard B" <>
    wrote:

    > In constructing a web page using html coding (with a text editor) how is
    > sound in the form of mp3s integrated into a web page?
    >
    > Do you need to use an absolute address for sound files to work or will a
    > relative address suffice?
    >
    > Furthermore, does the coding need to be placed in the <HEAD> section or only
    > within the <BODY> section.

    This URL might be helpful: http://cit.ucsf.edu/embedmedia/step1.php

    and this URL: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/authoring/embed.html

    Charles.Angelich