    Hey guys !

    Is there a ruby alternative to perl's Parse::RecDescent , or java's
    ANTLR ?

    Lex Williams, Aug 26, 2008

  2. El Martes, 26 de Agosto de 2008, Lex Williams escribi=C3=B3:
    > Hey guys !
    >
    > Is there a ruby alternative to perl's Parse::RecDescent , or java's
    > ANTLR ?

    Not sure if TreeTop is the same type than these parsers, but if it's you=20
    should use it since it's very easy and powerful:

    http://treetop.rubyforge.org/

    =2D-=20
    I=C3=B1aki Baz Castillo

    Iñaki Baz Castillo, Aug 26, 2008

  3. Lex Williams

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Aug 26, 2008, at 13:04 , Lex Williams wrote:

    > Is there a ruby alternative to perl's Parse::RecDescent , or java's
    > ANTLR ?

    If you're specifically looking for LL parser generators, you should
    first know that antlr is supposed to be able to generate ruby. Last
    time I took a poke at it the ruby functionality was broken and Terr
    was being a PITA about accepting patches so I didn't push any further.
    Maybe someone else has gotten it to work but I'm not going to try to
    work with antlr anymore. Terr is an impediment to his own project imho.

    There are two versions of coco/r ported to ruby. I don't think either
    are being maintained (I'm the maintainer of one of them), but they work.

    treetop, as mentioned, and a couple other PEG parser engines exist,
    but that is a different style of beast entirely.

    On the L(aL)R side, there is racc and a couple others. racc doesn't
    seem to be maintained either, but it works. I use it for my
    ruby_parser project. The nice thing there is that the engine ships
    with ruby (but not the compiler). I'm wholly not a fan of LR myself,
    but this may still be your best option depending on what you want to do.

    P.S. ANYTHING is a valid alternative to Parse::RecDescent... including
    nothing at all.

    Ryan Davis, Aug 27, 2008
  4. Lex Williams

    Eric Mahurin Guest

    On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Lex Williams <> wrote:

    > Hey guys !
    >
    > Is there a ruby alternative to perl's Parse::RecDescent , or java's
    > ANTLR ?

    I'll be uploading a long overdue release of Grammar (v0.5 is on rubyforge
    now) before the Lone Star Ruby Conf (week and a half from now). Although
    I'm biased, I believe it is better in almost every aspect than any other
    ruby parser generator out there. It also does something that no other LL
    parser does. Stay tuned...

    Eric

    Eric Mahurin, Aug 27, 2008
  5. Lex Williams

    James Gray Guest

    On Aug 26, 2008, at 8:14 PM, Eric Mahurin wrote:

    > On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Lex Williams <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hey guys !
    >>
    >> Is there a ruby alternative to perl's Parse::RecDescent , or java's
    >> ANTLR ?
    >> --
    >>

    > I'll be uploading a long overdue release of Grammar (v0.5 is on
    > rubyforge
    > now) before the Lone Star Ruby Conf (week and a half from now).
    > Although
    > I'm biased, I believe it is better in almost every aspect than any
    > other
    > ruby parser generator out there. It also does something that no
    > other LL
    > parser does. Stay tuned...

    I cannot wait to hear that talk. It's on my must see list. :)

    James Edward Gray II

    James Gray, Aug 27, 2008