Alternative to Regular Expressions?

Bootstrap Bill

Are there any alternatives to Regular Expressions? The syntax is HORRIBLE!
IF not, has anyone written a program that will construct them for you?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Bootstrap said:
Are there any alternatives to Regular Expressions? The syntax is
HORRIBLE! IF not, has anyone written a program that will construct
them for you?

Not yet, but I'm eagerly waiting for you to do it.

Good luck! :)

Jürgen Exner

Bootstrap said:
Are there any alternatives to Regular Expressions?

What do you mean by "alternative"? Context-free Expressions?
Context-sensitive Expressions?
Or what?
The syntax is HORRIBLE!

Oh, I see. Well, you are welcome to create a new language that defines REs.
IF not, has anyone written a program that will construct
them for you?

In which language (in the broadest sense) would you tell the program what
kind of REs you want?

jue

hubert depesz lubaczewski

Bootstrap Bill wyrze¼bi³(a):
Are there any alternatives to Regular Expressions? The syntax is HORRIBLE!
IF not, has anyone written a program that will construct them for you?

first of all - take a look at Regexp::* modules - they do contain some
of usually needed regexps.

second - what's so horrible about them? i guess that you just learned
that there is something like regexp. and by some accident you happen to
see something long, unreadable and basically awful.

tell me - what's horrible about:
/./
/.*/
/.+/
/[a-z]+/
and so on? this is *readable*, easy to write and easy to understand.

depesz

nobull

Jürgen Exner said:
Oh, I see. Well, you are welcome to create a new language that defines REs.

I think the OP should take a look at Ilya's recent posts in
clp.moderated where he proposes to create a new language that defines
REs.