Altova Mapforce - xml 2 xml map: empty elements output although input element is not empty

Discussion in 'XML' started by Lukas, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. Lukas

    Lukas Guest

    title:
    xml to xml mapping: empty elements output although input element is not
    empty

    Why is is that when mapping from a XML schema to another XML schema,
    when drawing a default connection like this:

    >| super-source-element |>---------->| super-target-element |>
    >| source-element |>---------->| target-element |>

    the result in the output tab is:

    <super-target-element>
    <target-element />
    </super-target-element>

    Please note that the target-element is EMPTY, although in the
    input-file that I've set up for the source-schema there is content in
    the source element:

    <source-element>STUFF</source-element>

    I've found that I can force the content to be transferred like so:

    _______________
    >| s-element |>-------------->|node/row| | |->| t-element |>

    producing in the Output tab:

    <super-target-element>
    <target-element>STUFF</target-element>
    </super-target-element>

    ... but I can't imagine that I'm meant to insert a Nodes/Rows filter for
    EVERY SINGLE xml element that I want to map.

    What's up with that?

    Lukas, Nov 10, 2005

  2. Lukas

    spiff Guest

    Hi Lukas,

    this is working for me if I try the PersonList.mfd sample. Did you try
    this also?

    Regards

    spiff, Nov 10, 2005

  3. Lukas

    Lukas Guest

    Hi Spiff,

    I just had a look at that mapping and found that the crucial difference
    between the PersonList example and my mapping was that the schema on
    the left hand side in PersonList defines all the mapped simple types
    (xs:string) while mine didn't (xs:all).

    The absence of a defined simple type apparently keeps Mapforce from
    mapping the content. Easy to fix now.

    Thanks!

    Lukas

    Lukas, Nov 10, 2005