Am I attempting the impossible?

F. George McDuffee

Javascript newbie here......

Am I attempting the impossible?

What I am attempting, is to do the major layout of a web
based survey using MS Frontpage (2000) and/or MS Expressions
Studio 4 web professional [just purchased Oct 2011 & not yet
installed – still using the free evaluation version] and
then to graft in the required Javascript by editing the html
source code to calculate a total survey score, and counts of
the number of survey items with responses such as “declined
to answer”[value -9999], “desired response not on list”
[value -8888], and “I don't understand the question” [value
-7777. The valid responses [Likert Scale] have values of
0,1,2,3,4, and display these scores/counts on the web page.
I made extensive use of pull-down menus. From an
information collecting standpoint this is working fine as
the submit button emails me a summary of the responses and
some other information such as date/time and browser used,
and again using my PowerBasic console compiler I can easily
convert these email responses from vertical text format to
horizontal .csv [Excel] format for easy statistical analysis
and graphing [I have the WinStat Excel add-in and can do
multiple regressions on the demographic data.]

I have a version of one of the surveys I wrote in text based
BASIC [PowerBasic Console Compiler 6.02 that works a treat,
but deployment is a problem and it requires manual [sneaker
net] data collection for statistical analysis, and looks old
fashioned. If anyone is interested they can see the source
code for this and download the .exe file that will run
directly under windows [no dos box required] at
http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/RED/redmain.htm
Also available are Visual Basic versions of the surveys that
require the Visual Basic Express [free] to be installed on
your machine to open/run.

You can see the web page (and can of course inspect the
source code) at
http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/web_surveys/wrkLH01.htm

What am I doing wrong? I can't access the response values,
but these show up fine on the email????

Also I am looking to insert recaptua code to avoid the
spammers/bots if the survey is deployed. I already
downloaded my public/private key from their website, but
can't get any further.
http://www.google.com/recaptcha

Can anyone help me?

PS -- Feel free to take the surveys if you wish, and any
suggestions, comments, or observations about the content
and/or appearance of the surveys would be appreciated. No
need to send me an email -- use the comments box on the
bottom of the survey form. Note the wrklh01 may not be
working (posting) correctly so use lh01.

Thanks.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"