Am I attempting the impossible?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by F. George McDuffee, Oct 21, 2011.

  1. Javascript newbie here......

    Am I attempting the impossible?

    What I am attempting, is to do the major layout of a web
    based survey using MS Frontpage (2000) and/or MS Expressions
    Studio 4 web professional [just purchased Oct 2011 & not yet
    installed – still using the free evaluation version] and
    then to graft in the required Javascript by editing the html
    source code to calculate a total survey score, and counts of
    the number of survey items with responses such as “declined
    to answer”[value -9999], “desired response not on list”
    [value -8888], and “I don't understand the question” [value
    -7777. The valid responses [Likert Scale] have values of
    0,1,2,3,4, and display these scores/counts on the web page.
    I made extensive use of pull-down menus. From an
    information collecting standpoint this is working fine as
    the submit button emails me a summary of the responses and
    some other information such as date/time and browser used,
    and again using my PowerBasic console compiler I can easily
    convert these email responses from vertical text format to
    horizontal .csv [Excel] format for easy statistical analysis
    and graphing [I have the WinStat Excel add-in and can do
    multiple regressions on the demographic data.]

    I have a version of one of the surveys I wrote in text based
    BASIC [PowerBasic Console Compiler 6.02 that works a treat,
    but deployment is a problem and it requires manual [sneaker
    net] data collection for statistical analysis, and looks old
    fashioned. If anyone is interested they can see the source
    code for this and download the .exe file that will run
    directly under windows [no dos box required] at
    http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/RED/redmain.htm
    Also available are Visual Basic versions of the surveys that
    require the Visual Basic Express [free] to be installed on
    your machine to open/run.

    You can see the web page (and can of course inspect the
    source code) at
    http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/web_surveys/wrkLH01.htm

    What am I doing wrong? I can't access the response values,
    but these show up fine on the email????

    Also I am looking to insert recaptua code to avoid the
    spammers/bots if the survey is deployed. I already
    downloaded my public/private key from their website, but
    can't get any further.
    http://www.google.com/recaptcha

    Can anyone help me?

    PS -- Feel free to take the surveys if you wish, and any
    suggestions, comments, or observations about the content
    and/or appearance of the surveys would be appreciated. No
    need to send me an email -- use the comments box on the
    bottom of the survey form. Note the wrklh01 may not be
    working (posting) correctly so use lh01.

    Thanks.

    --
    Unka' George

    "Gold is the money of kings,
    silver is the money of gentlemen,
    barter is the money of peasants,
    but debt is the money of slaves"

    -Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"

    F. George McDuffee, Oct 21, 2011

  2. F. George McDuffee wrote:

    > […]

    HTH