Am I doing this the python way? (list of lists + file io)

R. David Murray

Horace Blegg said:
So, Example: I'll read in a CSV file (just one, for now.) and store it into
a list. Sometime later, I'll get another CSV file, almost identical/related
to the first. However, a few values might have changed, and there might be a
few new lines (entries) or maybe a few less. I would want to compare the CSV
file I have in my list (in memory) to new CSV file (which I would probably
read into a temporary list). I would then want to track and log the
differences between the two files. After I've figured out what's changed, I
would either update the original CSV file with the new CSV's information, or
completely discard the original and replace it with the new one (whichever
involves less work). Basically, lots of iterating through each entry of each
CSV file and comparing to other information (either hard coded or variable).

So, to reiterate, are lists what I want to use? Should I be using something
else? (even if that 'something else' only really comes into play when
storing and operating on LOTS of data, I would still love to hear about it!)

Given your description, I don't see any reason to prefer any alternate
data structure. 1000 small CSV files should fit in a modern computer's
memory with no problem...and if it does become an issue, worry about it
then.

One thought, though: you might want to create a list subclass to hold
your data, so that you can put useful-to-you methods on the subclass...

bearophileHUGS

R. David Murray:
Given your description, I don't see any reason to prefer any alternate
data structure.  1000 small CSV files should fit in a modern computer's
memory with no problem...and if it does become an issue, worry about it
then.

The OP can also try the "diff" command that can be found implemented
both on Linux and Windows.

Bye,
bearophile