Am I The Only One Who Keeps Reading “Numpy†as “Numpty�

Discussion in 'Python' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 10, 2010.

  1. Sorry...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 10, 2010

  2. Re: Am I The Only One Who Keeps Reading “Numpy” as “Numpty”?

    As in Numpty Dumpty?

    Daniel Fetchinson, Nov 10, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Lou Pecora Guest

    Re: Am I The Only One Who Keeps Reading ?Numpy? as ?Numpty??

    In article <2010111007444115344-nomail@thisaddresscom>,
    Sven <> wrote:

    > On 2010-11-10 01:53:58 -0500, Lawrence D'Oliveiro said:
    >
    > > Sorry...

    > no.

    Yes, except for one other, above. :)

    Bigger question: How do you pronouce it? Some say "num pee". Not the
    greatest image to English speakers. I say "num pie". Makes more sense
    to me since the "pie" sound is already in python a root for the name.

    This, of course, is a burning issue for us all.

    --
    -- Lou Pecora

    Lou Pecora, Nov 10, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Mark Wooding Guest

    Lou Pecora <> writes:
    > Bigger question: How do you pronouce it?

    Rhymes with `grumpy'.

    -- [mdw]

    Mark Wooding, Nov 10, 2010
  5. Re: Am I The Only One Who Keeps Reading ?Numpy? as ?Numpty??

    On 2010-11-10, Mark Wooding <> wrote:
    > Lou Pecora <> writes:
    >> Bigger question: How do you pronouce it?

    > Rhymes with `grumpy'.

    Num-Pie

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Boys, you have ALL
    at been selected to LEAVE th'

    Grant Edwards, Nov 10, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    rantingrick Guest

    Re: Am I The Only One Who Keeps Reading “Numpy” as “Numpty”?

    On Nov 10, 12:53 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Sorry...

    Was humpty dumpty your favorite nursery rhyme? And it's "Num-pee" for
    me. If the "py" is appended i use "x-pee" and if it is pre i use "pie-
    x".

    rantingrick, Nov 10, 2010
  7. rantingrick <> writes:

    >[...] it's "Num-pee" for me. If the "py" is appended i use "x-pee" and
    >if it is pre i use "pie- x".

    So pypy is "pie-pee", not "pie-pie" or "pee-pee". With that edifying
    thought, I'm off to bed.

    --
    Arnaud

    Arnaud Delobelle, Nov 10, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    rantingrick Guest

    On Nov 10, 5:35 pm, Arnaud Delobelle <> wrote:

    > So pypy is "pie-pee", not "pie-pie" or "pee-pee".  With that edifying
    > thought, I'm off to bed.

    :) Good catch!

    Actually i've always thought of pypi as pie-pie and Scipy as cy-pie.
    Num-pie does not work for me. Maybe some linguist could chime in and
    explain these odd tendencies...?

    rantingrick, Nov 11, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ben James Guest

    > Sorry...

    I read it as "numpty" all the time!

    Ben James, Nov 11, 2010
  10. rantingrick, 11.11.2010 19:07:
    > On Nov 10, 5:35 pm, Arnaud Delobelle<> wrote:
    >
    >> So pypy is "pie-pee", not "pie-pie" or "pee-pee". With that edifying
    >> thought, I'm off to bed.

    > :) Good catch!
    >
    > Actually i've always thought of pypi as pie-pie and Scipy as cy-pie.
    > Num-pie does not work for me. Maybe some linguist could chime in and
    > explain these odd tendencies...?

    Ah, that's just English. Never mind.

    http://www.mipmip.org/tidbits/pronunciation.shtml

    Stefan