Am I The Only One Who Keeps Reading “Numpy†as “Numpty�

Lou Pecora

Sven said:

Yes, except for one other, above. :)

Bigger question: How do you pronouce it? Some say "num pee". Not the
greatest image to English speakers. I say "num pie". Makes more sense
to me since the "pie" sound is already in python a root for the name.

This, of course, is a burning issue for us all.

rantingrick

Was humpty dumpty your favorite nursery rhyme? And it's "Num-pee" for
me. If the "py" is appended i use "x-pee" and if it is pre i use "pie-
x".

Arnaud Delobelle

rantingrick said:
[...] it's "Num-pee" for me. If the "py" is appended i use "x-pee" and
if it is pre i use "pie- x".

So pypy is "pie-pee", not "pie-pie" or "pee-pee". With that edifying
thought, I'm off to bed.

rantingrick

So pypy is "pie-pee", not "pie-pie" or "pee-pee".  With that edifying
thought, I'm off to bed.

:) Good catch!

Actually i've always thought of pypi as pie-pie and Scipy as cy-pie.
Num-pie does not work for me. Maybe some linguist could chime in and
explain these odd tendencies...?