Amaya 9.0

Andrea R.

Hi from Italy!
I have to develop on web pages some paper modules. Till now I used
Notepad as my favourite web editor (tes, i wanna have the complete
control of the source code), but now I need to get more speedy and I
looked for a web editor which can semplify my work and which allows my
code to be as much standard as possible.
I found Amaya, the W3C Ufficial Web Editor, and i like it very much for
how it indents my code. But since you save your page, you open it with a
browser (explorer) and you try to see its html code with notepad, it
shows you very strange things.
Is it a problem of my settings or is it an Amaya issue?

Thank you,

Andrea R.

Toby Inkster

Andrea said:
But since you save your page, you open it with a browser (explorer) and
you try to see its html code with notepad, it shows you very strange
things.

Can you be more detailed about these "very strange things"?

Andrea R.

Duende ha scritto:
While sitting in a puddle Toby Inkster scribbled in the mud:

RtS
Viper

I mean... the code which is very well indented in Amaya, after I save it
in a html page and I try to see it with Explorer, it works, i see the
page i composed, but if i try to see the html code of the page I see a
very different thing of the indented code I saw in Amaya. No
indentation, strange characters, most of which seem to be not recognized
by the notepad. Is there a way to see in notepad the same code generated
by Amaya?

Thank you!

Andrea

Toby Inkster

Andrea said:
No indentation, strange characters, most of which seem to be not
recognized by the notepad.

Finally -- a decent description of the problem. I'm guessing that the file
is in a character set that Notepad can't handle. Perhaps UTF-16? Possibly
also it uses different tab stops, and different line break characters.

What OS are you using? Windows 9x/Me? Notepad with those versions of
Windows is *extremely* limited.

Pick up a decent text editor instead, such as SciTE (google for it).

theo

Pick up a decent text editor instead, such as SciTE (google for it).

I've never used a text editor. It's just my preference. I do not care to
even see the code unless necessary.

If you want to see what you are doing, drag and drop, graphics visual, then
consider downloading Netscape's "composer" or Mozilla Suite's "composer.
These are also available in Linux. Too, Dreamweaver, which is the top of
the line, has a free trial download, 30days. You might also find macromedia
studio 4, cheap, used, on ebay. The latest academic version, new, is $200
on ebay.

Take Care,
cc

rf

theo said:
I've never used a text editor. It's just my preference. I do not care to
even see the code unless necessary.

He he. Just as well its only six minutes to the cocktail hour. I can
legitimately pour a nice rum&coke and sit back for the fireworks which will
be along shortly :)

Andrea R.

Toby Inkster ha scritto:
Andrea R. wrote:

Finally -- a decent description of the problem. I'm guessing that the file
is in a character set that Notepad can't handle. Perhaps UTF-16? Possibly
also it uses different tab stops, and different line break characters.

What OS are you using? Windows 9x/Me? Notepad with those versions of
Windows is *extremely* limited.

Pick up a decent text editor instead, such as SciTE (google for it).

What I need is not to see easily the code of my pages, but to make it
readable by other.
So, i could use SciTE, I use ConText, I love it, but who needs to read
the code of my pages will continue using notepad, so you can understand
my position.

However, I got a solution.
You were right, the problem was on the code for Line Feed and Carriage
Return, which are different between Linux and Windows. Amaya comes from
Linux background, so for Windows LF & CR are problematic.
I found a flag under Amaya...
Edit ----> Preferences ----> Publishing ----> Export LF and CR
which is just the solution I was looking for.

Thank you for answers,

Andrea