Amazing what one can learn whilst surfing

Richard

By searching for the various terminologies, in html and javascript, along
with a variety of search phrases for various things, I have learned quite a
few tricks I can use in my endeavor to create a photo gallery of my design.

A simple 15 line piece of javascript can do away with a tedious fancy
tooltip message thing.

But that would involve creating new pages for each and every photo.
Which may resolve the idea of having the gallery presented in layers.
And thus, the loading time of the main page resolved as well.

How well the idea of multiple windows popping up on the screen will be
received by the visitor is anybody's guess at this time.

But from what I've seen of available photo galleries, they are all primarily
based on the same redundant theme.

But if one does not take a bold step forward, how is the scheme of things to
advance?

Two gents were standing on the shores of the Potomac River watching Mr.
Fulton show off his steam engine.
"What good is it?", the one gent asked.
"What good is a baby?", the other replied.
The latter, was Benjamin Franklin.

"The United States Patent Office is hereby officially closed. As anything
that can be invented, has been invented."

paul

Richard said:
paul wrote:

yeah right.

But isn't a popup just another form of a frame? <snicker>

My task bar & window placements are sacred. I've been known to read the
url for a popup from the link in the status bar & type it manually to
circumvent popups. Frames would be fine if there was some bookmarkable
alternate way to also go direct to the image (not difficult).

What I looked into once with slide shows is a way to preload images in
the background and still control the sequence like you sometimes see
huge pages that scroll down forever with a few MB of pics but normal
http behavior is to start up a few of them at a time almost randomly so
there's blanks in between & half a dozen partly loaded images. What's
needed is to load them one by one when each is finished. When I looked
into it, there were technical difficulties in doing this. If you could
do it, you could have them loading up in the background while the
visitor gazed lovingly at the first pic & they wouldn't feel the
bandwidth strain. Then display them in a frame so the page doesn't
flicker or re-scroll. Don't let it advance till the next image is fully
downloaded then use a blend to bring up the next slide smoothly &
quickly. That would be cool.

Then put the thumbnails in a collapsable/expandable file-folder-like
menu so it's all on one page. The fill image shows on the top in a frame
& the menu sits below in a scrolling (frame?). BTW I've never used
frames, don't even know how but it seems they'd be good for this, better
than using javascript.

Hywel Jenkins

By searching for the various terminologies, in html and javascript, along
with a variety of search phrases for various things, I have learned ...

.... NAAFI.

obedient dusk