Amazon: "Effective Java, Second Edition" (May 2008)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ted, Jul 14, 2008.

  1. Ted

    Ted Guest

    Ted, Jul 14, 2008

  2. Ted

    Mark Space Guest

    Mark Space, Jul 14, 2008

  3. Ted

    Evans Guest

    Evans, Jul 14, 2008
  4. On Jul 14, 7:03 pm, Evans <> wrote:
    > > Ted wrote:
    > > >http://fake.easyurlmot/EffectidveJava

    Nice munging! Since it only takes a single altered
    letter to kill URLs, I would have gone with..
    <http://easyurl.not/EffectiveJava>

    ( And yes - I've thought *way* too much about this.. ;)

    --
    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Jul 14, 2008
  5. Ted

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Sherman Pendley wrote:
    > Don't worry, there's no "tag=" in the URL. It appears that the spammer
    > was too stupid to include a referral code in the link. He isn't going
    > to make a dime. :)

    Can he still get via the referrer tag ?

    (I can not remember the conclusion when we had the discussion with
    Paul D)

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 15, 2008
  6. Ted

    Dave Miller Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Sherman Pendley wrote:
    >> Don't worry, there's no "tag=" in the URL. It appears that the spammer
    >> was too stupid to include a referral code in the link. He isn't going
    >> to make a dime. :)

    > Can he still get via the referrer tag ?
    >
    > (I can not remember the conclusion when we had the discussion with
    > Paul D)
    >
    > Arne

    Easynet is a URL redirect service which he's set to add his Amazon
    account information.

    --
    Dave Miller
    Java Web Hosting at:

    Dave Miller, Jul 15, 2008
  7. Ted

    Mark Space Guest

    Peter Duniho wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:21:42 -0700, Mark Space
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ted wrote:
    >>> http://.../EffectiveJava
    >>>

    >> Woot! Spam that I like. :)

    > Well, except that undoubtedly the original URL redirects through some
    > sort of link/click counter, granting the poster some financial reward
    > for posting their spam here.

    Well, his easynet link resolves to this, which has no referrer parameter:

    http://www.amazon.com/Effective-Java-2nd-Joshua-Bloch/dp/0321356683

    But I see your point, it could have. The link from Sun's site seems
    much safer, I'll use that. Thanks for the tip.

    Mark Space, Jul 15, 2008
  8. Ted

    Evans Guest

    > In all this time we still haven't heard back from "Ted".  That in itself is
    > telling.  Wouldn't an honest person have chimed in by now?
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    Ahh, don't bother anymore, 'Ted' is already banned from the newsgroup.
    Click on his profile.

    --
    Evans
    http://www.javawug.org

    Evans, Jul 15, 2008
  9. Evans wrote:

    > Ahh, don't bother anymore, 'Ted' is already banned from the newsgroup.
    > Click on his profile.

    You're using Google Groups that gives you this false feeling.
    Newsgroups != Google Groups, you're just using a news2web-
    gateway that works like the rest of the news2web-gateways:
    It doesn't

    Regards, Lothar
    --
    Lothar Kimmeringer E-Mail:

    questions!

    Lothar Kimmeringer, Jul 15, 2008
  10. Ted

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Sherman Pendley wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj <> writes:
    >> Sherman Pendley wrote:
    >>> Don't worry, there's no "tag=" in the URL. It appears that the spammer
    >>> was too stupid to include a referral code in the link. He isn't going
    >>> to make a dime. :)

    >> Can he still get via the referrer tag ?

    > Do you mean the Referrer HTTP header? I *highly* doubt that Amazon
    > would pay for that, since it's trivial to fake.

    I would consider it less work to change something in the URL
    than to change referrer.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 16, 2008
  11. Ted

    Dave Miller Guest

    Sherman Pendley wrote:
    > Dave Miller <> writes:
    >
    >> Easynet is a URL redirect service which he's set to add his Amazon
    >> account information.

    > I guess I should have been more precise. The amazon.com URL to which
    > Easynet redirects doesn't have a referral code in it.
    >
    > sherm--

    In that case...

    if we can get the name of his village we should send a condolence card
    to the elders - it must be tough trying to run a village with your idiot
    spending his time on usenet.

    Dave Miller, Jul 16, 2008