    1. Advertising

  2. Ted

    Mark Space Guest

    Mark Space, Jul 14, 2008

  3. Ted

    Evans Guest

    Evans, Jul 14, 2008
  4. On Jul 14, 7:03 pm, Evans <> wrote:
    > > Ted wrote:
    > > >http://fake.easyurlmot/EffectidveJava

    Nice munging! Since it only takes a single altered
    letter to kill URLs, I would have gone with..
    <http://easyurl.not/EffectiveJava>

    ( And yes - I've thought *way* too much about this.. ;)

    --
    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 14, 2008
  5. Ted

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Sherman Pendley wrote:
    > Don't worry, there's no "tag=" in the URL. It appears that the spammer
    > was too stupid to include a referral code in the link. He isn't going
    > to make a dime. :)

    Can he still get via the referrer tag ?

    (I can not remember the conclusion when we had the discussion with
    Paul D)

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 15, 2008
  6. Ted

    Dave Miller Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Sherman Pendley wrote:
    >> Don't worry, there's no "tag=" in the URL. It appears that the spammer
    >> was too stupid to include a referral code in the link. He isn't going
    >> to make a dime. :)

    > Can he still get via the referrer tag ?
    >
    > (I can not remember the conclusion when we had the discussion with
    > Paul D)
    >
    > Arne

    Easynet is a URL redirect service which he's set to add his Amazon
    account information.

    --
    Dave Miller
    Java Web Hosting at:
    Dave Miller, Jul 15, 2008
  7. Ted

    Mark Space Guest

    Peter Duniho wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:21:42 -0700, Mark Space
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ted wrote:
    >>> http://.../EffectiveJava
    >>>

    >> Woot! Spam that I like. :)

    > Well, except that undoubtedly the original URL redirects through some
    > sort of link/click counter, granting the poster some financial reward
    > for posting their spam here.

    Well, his easynet link resolves to this, which has no referrer parameter:

    http://www.amazon.com/Effective-Java-2nd-Joshua-Bloch/dp/0321356683

    But I see your point, it could have. The link from Sun's site seems
    much safer, I'll use that. Thanks for the tip.
    Mark Space, Jul 15, 2008
  8. Ted

    Evans Guest

    > In all this time we still haven't heard back from "Ted".  That in itself is
    > telling.  Wouldn't an honest person have chimed in by now?
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    Ahh, don't bother anymore, 'Ted' is already banned from the newsgroup.
    Click on his profile.

    --
    Evans
    http://www.javawug.org
    Evans, Jul 15, 2008
  9. Evans wrote:

    > Ahh, don't bother anymore, 'Ted' is already banned from the newsgroup.
    > Click on his profile.

    You're using Google Groups that gives you this false feeling.
    Newsgroups != Google Groups, you're just using a news2web-
    gateway that works like the rest of the news2web-gateways:
    It doesn't

    Regards, Lothar
    --
    Lothar Kimmeringer E-Mail:

    questions!
    Lothar Kimmeringer, Jul 15, 2008
  10. Ted

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Sherman Pendley wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj <> writes:
    >> Sherman Pendley wrote:
    >>> Don't worry, there's no "tag=" in the URL. It appears that the spammer
    >>> was too stupid to include a referral code in the link. He isn't going
    >>> to make a dime. :)

    >> Can he still get via the referrer tag ?

    > Do you mean the Referrer HTTP header? I *highly* doubt that Amazon
    > would pay for that, since it's trivial to fake.

    I would consider it less work to change something in the URL
    than to change referrer.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 16, 2008
  11. Ted

    Dave Miller Guest

    Sherman Pendley wrote:
    > Dave Miller <> writes:
    >
    >> Easynet is a URL redirect service which he's set to add his Amazon
    >> account information.

    > I guess I should have been more precise. The amazon.com URL to which
    > Easynet redirects doesn't have a referral code in it.
    >
    > sherm--

    In that case...

    if we can get the name of his village we should send a condolence card
    to the elders - it must be tough trying to run a village with your idiot
    spending his time on usenet.

    Dave Miller, Jul 16, 2008