Amazon Product API hmac signature?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jonathan Rochkind, May 11, 2009.

  1. So, starting August 15th, the Amazon product web service API (the one
    where you can get info about amazon products, manipulate wishlists and
    shopping carts, etc), is going to require a form of cryptographic
    signature on all requests.

    http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSECommerceService/latest/DG/

    I think I can put everything together from various gems. But it's kind
    of picky (for instance, you have to make sure to CGI-escape in exactly
    the right way and not over-escape at certain points).

    I'm wondering if anyone knows if anyone's already tackled this, and
    maybe has a gem with tests that'll do it for you? Maybe part of some
    larger amazon-interaction gem or something? This authentication method
    has been used with other AWS apis for a while now I think. But I can't
    find anything.

    If not, and I write it, do you all think it would be a good thing to
    distribute as a gem? It probably won't be very many lines of code, but
    making sure you've got the _right_ few lines of code that don't have any
    bugs in them is the trick.

    Thanks for any advice,
    Jonathan

    Jonathan Rochkind, May 11, 2009

  2. On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <> wrote=
    :
    > I'm wondering if anyone knows if anyone's already tackled this, and
    > maybe has a gem with tests that'll do it for you? =A0Maybe part of some
    > larger amazon-interaction gem or something? This authentication method
    > has been used with other AWS apis for a while now I think. But I can't
    > find anything.

    Both RightAWS and AWS::S3 have code to sign requests. I'd start there.

    Ben

    Ben Bleything, May 11, 2009

  3. Hi Jonathan,

    Have you found some solution to this issue? I am using ruby/aws and I
    have received that my requests are not signed. I would appreciate any
    help to solve this problem.

    Thank you.

    César Díaz, Aug 10, 2009
  4. César Díaz wrote:
    > Hi Jonathan,
    >
    > Have you found some solution to this issue? [signing Amazon Product API requests].
    > I am using ruby/aws and I
    > have received that my requests are not signed. I would appreciate any
    > help to solve this problem.

    Yes, I found and adapted some code from Chris Roos. See my version here:

    http://bibwild.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/authenticating-to-amazon-product-api-in-ruby/

    I am not using ruby/aws, however. I guess ruby/aws needs to be updated
    to do signing; talk to the developer of that gem, or try to figure out
    how to do it yourself (perhaps guided by the code pointed to above). Or
    stop using ruby/aws and do it yourself manually using the code pointed
    to above.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Rochkind, Sep 1, 2009