American Football/Rugby Ball

Sam Davies

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to create a java script demo that simulates a rugby ball.
If your unfamiliar its exactly the same as an American football, but
without the laces. Firstly do you think this is possible? It's easy
enough to get a spherical ball working properly, but due to the
obscure shape I've been strugglering to work out a formula.

Any suggestions, or is this just a bit to far fetched for java script?

Cheers
Sam

p.s I want to use java script becuase i'm planning on using it in a
VRML world i'm working on

Brian Genisio

Sam said:
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to create a java script demo that simulates a rugby ball.
If your unfamiliar its exactly the same as an American football, but
without the laces. Firstly do you think this is possible? It's easy
enough to get a spherical ball working properly, but due to the
obscure shape I've been strugglering to work out a formula.

Any suggestions, or is this just a bit to far fetched for java script?

Cheers
Sam

p.s I want to use java script becuase i'm planning on using it in a
VRML world i'm working on

How do you want to simulate it? I dont necessarially think it is out of
the scope of Javascript, but I do not think this is a Javascript question.

What do you want to simulate? Do you want to simulate the physics of a
rugby ball being thrown, bownced, catched? If so, this is not a trivial
problem so solve. It is not even easy with a spherical ball, because in
both cases, you have position in three axis, velocity in three axis, and
accelleration in three axis to get the proper velocity. When it comes
to bouncing on the ground, you have friction to deal with as well. Of
course, using the shape of a rugby ball will make it even more complex.

We're talking major vector mathematics here.

If you are talking about simply mapping out the coordinates for the 3D
shape, it will be easier. You need to know the mathematical formula for
the curve of the ball, (something like a partial elipse), and you can
plot it. You might need to get some math libraries that support more
than your simple trig functions. You might need calculus.

Look at the Math library for Javascript, to know what tools you have.
They are similar to the standard C math libraries. You have your basic
trig functions, but anything more complicated, you will have to derrive
functions for.

If I am totally off base here, it is only because I do not know what you
mean by "simulate". That word can mean many things.

Brian