"Ampersand" in email addresses

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Monomeeth, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Monomeeth

    Monomeeth Guest

    Hi All

    I hope someone can help me...

    I work in a large organisation which a network of 24,000 computers. We use
    Outlook and Microsoft Exchange Servers for our email platform. However, I
    have come across a problem...

    A number of our mailboxes have the ampersand character in the email address
    (ie. The '&' character). However, when trying to use a hyperlink to these
    addresses, all that appears in the "To:" field in Outlook are the characters
    BEFORE the ampersand, and nothing from the ampersand onwards. As a result,
    Outlook is unable to recognise the email address!

    How do I code the link? I have tried using "&" instead of just "&" in
    the HTML code, but this makes no difference.

    PLEASE HELP...

    Thanks.

    Monomeeth.

    Monomeeth, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Monomeeth

    Kris Guest

    In article <BB9F905F.4E97%>,
    Monomeeth <> wrote:

    > I work in a large organisation which a network of 24,000 computers. We use
    > Outlook and Microsoft Exchange Servers for our email platform. However, I
    > have come across a problem...
    >
    > A number of our mailboxes have the ampersand character in the email address
    > (ie. The '&' character). However, when trying to use a hyperlink to these
    > addresses, all that appears in the "To:" field in Outlook are the characters
    > BEFORE the ampersand, and nothing from the ampersand onwards. As a result,
    > Outlook is unable to recognise the email address!
    >
    > How do I code the link? I have tried using "&amp;" instead of just "&" in
    > the HTML code, but this makes no difference.

    Try %26.

    Like in <a href="mailto:foo%">.

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)

    Kris, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Monomeeth

    Richard Guest

    Monomeeth wrote:

    > Hi All

    > I hope someone can help me...

    > I work in a large organisation which a network of 24,000 computers.
    > We use
    > Outlook and Microsoft Exchange Servers for our email platform.
    > However, I
    > have come across a problem...

    > A number of our mailboxes have the ampersand character in the email
    > address
    > (ie. The '&' character). However, when trying to use a hyperlink to
    > these
    > addresses, all that appears in the "To:" field in Outlook are the
    > characters
    > BEFORE the ampersand, and nothing from the ampersand onwards. As a
    > result,
    > Outlook is unable to recognise the email address!

    > How do I code the link? I have tried using "&amp;" instead of just
    > "&" in
    > the HTML code, but this makes no difference.

    > PLEASE HELP...

    > Thanks.

    > Monomeeth.

    I use OE on my PC at home and just tried sending myself mail with & in the
    addy.
    Worked just fine sending and receiving.
    Myhost uses a unix server though.
    It's possible that you may have to change some kind of permission in the
    server to accept the & and other special characters.

    Richard, Sep 30, 2003