    terms of dragging and dropping to build applications directly.. so that
    building apps would be faster in ruby than it already is.
    Might seem like a silly question but i do not know any better

    Thilankka Marasinghe, Jul 10, 2007

  2. Thilankka Marasinghe wrote:
    > I want to know if theres an alternative to VB.net using ruby.. I mean in
    > terms of dragging and dropping to build applications directly.. so that
    > building apps would be faster in ruby than it already is.
    > Might seem like a silly question but i do not know any better

    There is the Glade GUI builder, which has a Ruby binding. Here is a
    sample video of how you can use it to rapidly develop GUI applications
    in Ruby:

    http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?RubyZilla

    For this you need to install the GTK toolkit (which you have already if
    you are running Gnome) and the Ruby-Gnome2 bindings to GTK.

    http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Install Guide

    best,
    Dan

    Daniel Lucraft, Jul 10, 2007

  3. "Thilankka Marasinghe" <> wrote in message
    >I want to know if theres an alternative to VB.net using ruby.. I mean in
    > terms of dragging and dropping to build applications directly..

    In the next release of Ruby In Steel Developer (later this year) you will be
    able to create dual language applications (e.g. VB.NET or C# plus Ruby).
    This means that (among other things) you will be able to create the entire
    user interface in VB.NET or C# and run your Ruby program from it.

    More info on our blog:
    http://www.sapphiresteel.com/Visual-Basic-Talks-Ruby-Too
    http://www.sapphiresteel.com/From-C-to-Ruby-and-back-again-The
    http://www.sapphiresteel.com/Adventures-in-Ruby-and-NET
    http://www.sapphiresteel.com/Visual-Ruby-One-Small-Step

    best wishes
    Huw Collingbourne

    http://www.sapphiresteel.com
    Ruby Programming In Visual Studio 2005
    Huw Collingbourne, Jul 10, 2007
  4. Thilankka Marasinghe

    SonOfLilit Guest

    There is an old japanese implementation of a VB like IDE in ruby (that
    I've never tried) for Windows.

    Look in the rubygarden wiki.

    But believe me, you don't want VB-ness in your ruby code. Instead, you
    want elegance and easy editing. There is a reason that all popular
    programming languages use ASCII only.

    Aur

    SonOfLilit, Jul 10, 2007
  5. Thilankka Marasinghe

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 03:37:34PM +0900, Daniel Lucraft wrote:
    > Thilankka Marasinghe wrote:
    > > I want to know if theres an alternative to VB.net using ruby.. I mean in
    > > terms of dragging and dropping to build applications directly.. so that
    > > building apps would be faster in ruby than it already is.
    > > Might seem like a silly question but i do not know any better

    > There is the Glade GUI builder, which has a Ruby binding. Here is a
    > sample video of how you can use it to rapidly develop GUI applications
    > in Ruby:
    >
    > http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?RubyZilla

    Ouch. I wonder whose bright idea it was to produce a 1024x768 Flash
    video.

    Dr. Ron Paul: "Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when
    terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons."
    Chad Perrin, Jul 10, 2007
  6. Thilankka Marasinghe

    gregarican Guest

    On Jul 10, 9:13 am, SonOfLilit <> wrote:
    > There is an old japanese implementation of a VB like IDE in ruby (that
    > I've never tried) for Windows.
    >
    > Look in the rubygarden wiki.
    >
    > But believe me, you don't want VB-ness in your ruby code. Instead, you
    > want elegance and easy editing. There is a reason that all popular
    > programming languages use ASCII only.
    >
    > Aur
    >
    > On 7/10/07, Thilankka Marasinghe <> wrote:
    >
    > > I want to know if theres an alternative to VB.net using ruby.. I mean in
    > > terms of dragging and dropping to build applications directly.. so that
    > > building apps would be faster in ruby than it already is.
    > > Might seem like a silly question but i do not know any better

    > > --

    Hey, I like Ruby as much as the next guy but "all popular programming
    languages use ASCII only" is a bit of a stretch, dontcha think? If you
    are talking about __popularity__ then Java and .NET are much more in
    the mainstream than Ruby, Perl, Python, et. al. Go look for online
    jobs, or in a bookstore or on a college course schedule. If you want
    to say "hardcore/historical/expert programming languages" then I might
    buy that, since C can definitely join the group. But "all" is a tough
    qualifier for my $0.02 US...
    gregarican, Jul 10, 2007
  7. Thilankka Marasinghe

    SonOfLilit Guest

    Java and .NET have GUI builders, but still store the interface plan in
    ASCII that can be read and edited, I think... Actually, sorry, I'm not
    that sure about .NET.

    And of course there is VB which is popular, so I'm wrong.

    Aur

    SonOfLilit, Jul 11, 2007