An Atlas of Graphs with Python

Giandomenico Sica

Call for Cooperation
An Atlas of Linguistic Graphs

I'm a researcher in graph theory and networks.
I'm working about a project connected with the theory and the applications
of
linguistic graphs, which are mathematical structures useful to represent
languages and consequently to manage the organization of data in different
kinds of scientific fields.
At the present I'm developing an application of these graphs to medicine,
specifically related to the ontology of clinical diseases.
And now to the purpose of this message, which is to ask if someone in this
list
can be interested in collaborating with me about the construction of an open
source software useful to represent, to analyse and to compare linguistic
graphs.
I've developed the project but don't have the necessary programming skills
proceed with the creation of the code.
The software would be distributed in public domain and the collaboration is
free
and voluntary.
I really hope that someone can be interested.
In the case, please feel free to contact me by using my private e-mail
address.
I'll be pleased to send the complete documentation related to the project.
Really many thanks.

All the best,
Giandomenico Sica

Faculty of Philosophy
Leiden University
(e-mail address removed)

Publications
http://www.polimetrica.com/polimetrica/view/people/Sica,_Giandomenico.html

1st World Congress and School on Universal Logic
http://www.uni-log.org

Cameron Laird

[...]

.
.
.
Much as I'd love personally to take up this opportunity,
previous commitments preclude it. I wonder whether it
might attract someone at Google? They certainly have
an interest in analytic linguistics and familiarity with
high-level languages; while Summer of Code might appear
superficially to be a vehicle of some sort, I believe it's
already closed to new project ideas ...

I'd ask also among the practitioners of ML, Lisp, J, Snobol,
and other high-level languages that I believe are likeliest
to host interest in graph theory. It's certainly true,
though, that Python boasts at least a couple.

Paddy

A little off topic I'm afraid Giandomenico,
But I had to smile. Here is someone working in the field of
linguistics, who wants a programming solution, in the language Python.
(It's Larry Wall, creator of Perl that cites his linguistic
foundations).

-- Pad.

Harry George

Paddy said:
A little off topic I'm afraid Giandomenico,
But I had to smile. Here is someone working in the field of
linguistics, who wants a programming solution, in the language Python.
(It's Larry Wall, creator of Perl that cites his linguistic
foundations).

-- Pad.

I used Python for computational linguistics coursework, but not since. Google for "nlp python". E.g.:

http://nltk.sourceforge.net/
http://www.logilab.org/projects/hmm
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~russell/aima/python/nlp.html

aurelien.campeas

You could have a look at the Mozart/Oz community. Oz is a language
supporting logic and constraint programming out of the box and people
are using these capabilities to play linguistic with graph
matching.

See http://www.lifl.fr/~duchier/papers/duchier-xdg-cslp2004.pdf for a
possibly enlightening example.

I know that right now people are working on graphs as first-class
finite domain entities to be integrated in Oz (or the constraint
solver that was forked from Mozart/Oz, known as Gecode) :
http://cpgraph.info.ucl.ac.be/.

Incidentally, there is a CPython wrapper for Gecode waiting to be
finished, but that is not likely to be ready next month.

Cheers,
Aurélien.