An authors view on C

Fao, Sean

A guy at http://www.embedded.com gave his opinion on the C language and I
was shocked to see the number of supporters for the author. I also find it
hard to believe that 99% of all code has memory leaks; but, I suppose I
could be wrong.

See what you think:

http://www.embedded.com
showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=4DOBHEJ2YZUKUQSNDBCSKHQ?articleID=15306089

Sean

Mike Wahler

Fao said:
A guy at http://www.embedded.com gave his opinion on the C language and I
was shocked to see the number of supporters for the author.

Gullibility hasn't shocked me for quite some time. :)
I also find it
hard to believe that 99% of all code has memory leaks;

I find it hard to believe that the author implies that he has
the intimate knowledge of 99% of all code which is necessary
to make such an assessment.

I've written much C code which *cannot* cause memory leaks,
by virtue of not using dynamic allocation at all. I suppose
a poor C implementation could still cause such problems, but
that's not the fault of the language.

but, I suppose I
could be wrong.

And so 'could' this author.
See what you think:

I think I'll thank you for alerting me to this guy's 'reasoning'.
Now I know that if I want guidance on embedded programming, I'll
avoid Jack G. Ganssle. If he makes such claims about C, how could
I trust him to give good advice about embedded programming, or
anything else?

-Mike