An error occurred while try to load the string resources (GetModuleHandle failed with error -2147023

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Marco Gerlach, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    on one of our customers servers we get following error on first ASPX-page:

    An error occurred while try to load the string resources (GetModuleHandle
    failed with error -2147023888)

    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: An error occurred while try to
    load the string resources (GetModuleHandle failed with error -2147023888).

    Stack Trace:

    [HttpException (0x80004005): An error occurred while try to load the string
    resources (GetModuleHandle failed with error -2147023888).]
    System.Web.StringResourceManager.ReadSafeStringResource(Type t) +373
    System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.ReadStringResource(Type t) +5
    _ASP.ipinfo_aspx..ctor() +31

    [TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
    invocation.]
    System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly) +0
    System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic) +66
    System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledInstance(String
    virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +164

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Failed to create page of type
    '_ASP.ipinfo_aspx'.]
    System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledInstance(String
    virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +337
    System.Web.UI.PageParser.GetCompiledPageInstanceInternal(String
    virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +43
    System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String
    requestType, String url, String path) +44
    System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String
    requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +698

    System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep
    ..Execute() +95
    completedSynchronously) +173

    Any ideas, what went wrong on this machine ?

    Thanks,

    Marco Gerlach

    Marco Gerlach, Jul 29, 2003

  2. Marco Gerlach

    Carb Guest

    Hi Marco,

    I've seen this very error and stack trace before. It happened shortly
    after applying Windows 2000 SP4.

    You will need to grant the "Impersonate a Client AfterAuthentication"
    user right to the appropriate account on your machine. For member
    servers, the account is ASPNET. For domain controllers, the account
    is IWAM_<machine name>.

    Below are some steps you can take to accomplish this:
    1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools,
    and then click Local Security Policy.
    2. Expand Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignment.
    3. In the right pane, double-click Impersonate a client after
    authentication.
    4. In the Local Security Policy Setting dialog box, click Add.
    5. In the Select Users or Group dialog box, click the user account
    that you want to add, click Add, and then click OK.
    6. Click OK.

    You should also reboot the entire computer after doing these steps.
    This information is also discussed in greater detail in the following
    KB article:

    821546 Overview of the "Impersonate a Client After Authentication"
    and the
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821546

    315158 FIX: ASP.NET Does Not Work with the Default ASPNET Account on
    a Domain
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315158

    Hope that helps!

    Carb Simien, MCSE MCDBA MCAD