An Evolutionary Analysis of GNU C Optimizations

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Scott Robert Ladd, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. I've just posted my analysis of GNU C and C++ optimizations, using a
    genetic algorithm to discover the most effective optimization flags for
    different algorithms.

    ACOVEA (Analysis of Compiler Options via Evolutionary Algorithm)
    implements a genetic algorithm to find the "best" options for compiling
    programs with the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) C and C++ compilers.
    "Best", in this context, is defined as those options that produce the
    fastest executable program from a given source code. Acovea is a C++
    framework that can be extended to test other programming languages and
    non-GCC compilers.

    I envision Acovea as an optimization tool, similar in purpose to
    profiling. Traditional function-level profiling identifies the algorithms
    most influential in a program's performance; Acovea is then applied to
    those algorithms to find the compiler flags and options that generate the
    fastest code. Acovea is also useful for testing combinations of flags for
    pessimistic interactions, and for testing the reliability of the compiler.

    You'll find the full article, and links for downloads, at:

    http://www.coyotegulch.com/acovea/index.html

    Enjoy.

    ...Scott

    --
    Scott Robert Ladd
    In development: Alex, a database for common folk

    Scott Robert Ladd, Nov 17, 2003