An IE browser tester

dorayme

[QUOTE="Ed Mullen said:
A little birdie told that there is:

<http://my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage>

to test for different versions of IE. Anyone here tried it yet?

It's interesting but I just glanced at it. I have decided I just don't
care about any IE versions less than 7 any more.[/QUOTE]

It is for more than 6. It interests me because I have been wary of
installing 8 on my winbox (compatibility button does not sound too real
mcoyish) but this tester seems to require only 7 installation. And I am
told by one person that it is better and easier to use than other
multi-IE facilities.

But I don't make any kind of move in life without hearing what
alt.htmlers think. Buridan's ass had absolutely nothing on me in the
indecision stakes.

cwdjrxyz

A little birdie told that there is:

<http://my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage>

to test for different versions of IE. Anyone here tried it yet?

I took a look at the site, and the IETester is still in alpha stage.
As a general rule I will not use a program until it is in beta stage,
unless I have extreme interest in the subject. This is especially true
for programs from Microsoft or ones concerning Microsoft programs.

dorayme

idle said:
Works ok on my W7

So, from your experience of 6, 7 and 8, you can say it does a fantastic
job of showing how it is in 6 and 8 when you have 7 installed. That is
just great to know and most encouraging. I am so tempted now having
received your information.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
[QUOTE="Ed Mullen said:
A little birdie told that there is:

<http://my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage>

to test for different versions of IE. Anyone here tried it yet?
It's interesting but I just glanced at it. I have decided I just don't
care about any IE versions less than 7 any more.

It is for more than 6. It interests me because I have been wary of
installing 8 on my winbox (compatibility button does not sound too real
mcoyish) but this tester seems to require only 7 installation. And I am
told by one person that it is better and easier to use than other
multi-IE facilities.
[/QUOTE]

I just installed Tredosoft's MulitpleIEs 3-6

http://tredosoft.com/multipleIEs
multipleIEs | TredoSoft

And upgraded IE7 to 8, actually I had to to fix a corrupted IE7. You
don't use the compatibility mode to test in version 7. Just hit F12 to
open the debugger window and switch the Browser Mode to 7. IE8
Compatibility mode seems more like an IE7+8 hybrid.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
A little birdie told that there is:

<http://my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage>

to test for different versions of IE. Anyone here tried it yet?

I tried this before IE8 was pushed out, because I was hesitant to install
IE8 at the time. I didn't have any problems with it, and everything seemed
to be okay with IE8, so I installed it as well.

Jeremy J Starcher

Looks non-intuitive. There isn't even any obvious way to go to a page by
URL.

It doesn't have a location bar, no...

But if you hit one of the browser version buttons (or the all) it lets
you key in a URL. If you have an address in your copy-buffer it even
pastes that in for you.

All in all it is a great tool for testing. (Since the bulk of my sites
traffic comes from various versions of IE, it is /very/ important to me
that I support IE well -- regardless of my actual desires.)

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
I just installed Tredosoft's MulitpleIEs 3-6

http://tredosoft.com/multipleIEs
multipleIEs | TredoSoft

And upgraded IE7 to 8, actually I had to to fix a corrupted IE7. You
don't use the compatibility mode to test in version 7. Just hit F12 to
open the debugger window and switch the Browser Mode to 7. IE8
Compatibility mode seems more like an IE7+8 hybrid.

I already have that multiple on, and 7 is installed on XP. Have managed
to not turn on IE for a few weeks now, trusting I have done nothing that
it could muck up (I don't do fancy). But your information sparks my
interest. Did not know you could "switch 8 to 7" to test on 8, thought
there was only this compatibility button. Please do not keep these
secrets for so long in future, there are no excuses. I will tell Miguel
to send you some Portuguese food.

dorayme

Adrienne Boswell said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme

I tried this before IE8 was pushed out, because I was hesitant to install
IE8 at the time. I didn't have any problems with it, and everything seemed
to be okay with IE8, so I installed it as well.

Yes, it is probably the way I will go. The birdie that told me also had
8 installed but still found this IETester easier and better than the
multiple IEs.

idle

So, from your experience of 6, 7 and 8, you can say it does a fantastic
job of showing how it is in 6 and 8 when you have 7 installed. That is
just great to know and most encouraging. I am so tempted now having
received your information.

Seems to work ok.
If you're unsure, take a look at how it shows sites in IE 5.5 ;)
Then you'll know it's working.
;)