An interview question

Ross Bamford

Ross has any one ever told you , that you are a complete fucking moron?

Well, thanks for that. I always find expletives helpful when I'm too
dumb to to express myself an expletive.
this was an interview question , within the realm of java.

I'm just discussing things, stating opinions. I'm not interested in the
OP, or the original question. I'm just responding to things as written.
And surely, when interviewing for a Java position, one wants to know
what the candidate not only knows how to apply technology, but how (and
when) /not/ to.

Or are you suggesting that a Java programmer is freed from the shackles
of computer science and systems architecture.
as for my programming methods, I don't give a **** , what you think.
do you know why?

I don't expect you to. I'm not trying to teach you or change to you,
just have an adult discussion with you, purely out of interest.
Even /that/ is apparently impossible.
Obviously author of the book has stronger thought processes than you will
ever have.
He is also not prone to fantasize about atomic strikes , and alien hackers
and such like taking over his code.

The point about taking over the code is that /no one can/. You can
secure all the variables you like, but how do I, as a user of your
system, call your methods and change those variables anyway? It's
pointless and takes attention away from the real security issues.

What? My point was that the kind of security originally discussed is
often applied to the wrong kind of problems. The point about bringing in
ever more dramatic things was to illustrate that when you're trying to
make secure code what you do in Java is only part of the solution.

Again, are you contending that Java isn't programming?
perhaps if you get the time , you may be able to pop down to your local
library and take the time to look through the book.

you may even be able to learn something, that is if you are not to fucking
arrogant to think you know everything.

I don't think I know everything - I was just putting forth an opinion,
which is what I though discussions were about. I have opinions that I
have built up from my experience, and can sometimes be tempted to put
one of them forth. I claim none of them as fact, and if you look back
through this thread you'll see 'IMHO' and 'I think' quite a bit.

Oh no, not 'plonked'... How mature an argument this has become. Don't
bother replying, we are talking at crossed purposes anyway and I shan't
be wasting more bandwidth on it.

Ross Bamford

Furthermore, you have to be root to install a kernel module. My
thinking is that security planning only goes to the non-root level,
because after that, what's the point? Maybe chroot or something but
that's getting even further offtopic.

That was exactly my point. /Exactly/. Thankyou. That it's ridiculous
build in such 'security'.

Brooks Hagenow

Ross said:
That was exactly my point. /Exactly/. Thankyou. That it's ridiculous
build in such 'security'.

If you were asked in a job interveiw, "How would you make this
immutable" your answer would be, "I wouldn't"?