analolog clock in the web page

Paul

Where can I get an analog clock for my web pages?
Is it a good idea or not putting that thing in the pages?
I have seen it in some sites....
Thank you
Paul

Harlan Messinger

Paul said:
Where can I get an analog clock for my web pages?
Is it a good idea or not putting that thing in the pages?
I have seen it in some sites....

I don't see that there's any point. I don't know about other operating
systems, but Windows displays the time in the lower right corner of the
screen anyway, and most people already have the time on their wrist or
somewhere within easy view. For those people who don't already have
ready access to the time, their need to know the time probably isn't
greater when they happen to be visiting your site than it is at any
other time. So, assuming your web pages exist for some purpose, why take
up space you could be using for that purpose to display something
virtually useless instead?

Jonathan N. Little

Harlan said:
I don't see that there's any point. I don't know about other operating
systems, but Windows displays the time in the lower right corner of the
screen anyway, and most people already have the time on their wrist or
somewhere within easy view. For those people who don't already have
ready access to the time, their need to know the time probably isn't
greater when they happen to be visiting your site than it is at any
other time. So, assuming your web pages exist for some purpose, why take
up space you could be using for that purpose to display something
virtually useless instead?

Also whose time are you going to display?, Your time, the server's time,
the clients time...

Unless your site is

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/time.htm

I cannot see the need...

dorayme

"Paul said:
yes you're right, putting a clock is almost useless, i was asking only to
know, as I have seen it in example here:
http://www.tgcom.media

Damn! I was waiting in great anticipation for a knockout good
reason for having a clock on your site.

1. My site is about clocks and ...

2. My site is a treatise on world time and ...

3. I am from an outer planet and wish to show my family's time to
earthlings in a good old fashioned earthly way...

4. I want a gorgeous French Antique clock on my site and it would
be nice if it showed the correct local time for any visitor...

Paul

Jonathan N. Little said:
Harlan Messinger wrote:

Also whose time are you going to display?, Your time, the server's time,
the clients time...

The clock showed here
http://www.tgcom.mediaset.it/spettacolo/articoli/articolo224282.shtml

is showing the time read in my computer (and I suppose it shows the time in
your computer), so in case one have a clock in own web site, it must show
the clients time read on their computer.
In any case, if one has a little space left in his web site, he could put it
there....I think it isn't a bad idea,
Paul

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Paul said:

...which appears to be a Flash movie.
<param name="movie" value="/res/swf/analog.swf">

You could copy it, I suppose.
is showing the time read in my computer (and I suppose it shows the time in
your computer),

Yes, it shows my local time, which is duplicated on my Ubuntu taskbar,
on my watch, on the time/temperature device near my left speaker, on the
corner of the TV screen ...
so in case one have a clock in own web site, it must show the clients
time read on their computer. In any case, if one has a little space
left in his web site, he could put it there....I think it isn't a bad
idea,

There's nothing wrong with it, other than it is extra download 'fluff'.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:01:10 GMT
Ed Mullen scribed:

I really like that page. Just looked it over for now but will return to
check out all clocks more thoroughly. Btw, 1 css error which may be a
simple forgotten '#' and a warning which possibly could be dealt with by
offsetting colors by 1.

Paul

Ed Mullen said:
1. Google for flash clock.
2. http://edmullen.net/fclock.php

Thank you very much. I have used one of those clock and put it in one of my
pages here
http://www.orefelici.com/wedding.html

If I use IE it's OK and I like it!!
But...if I use Mozilla Firefox. it is invisible...... why?

If I haven't made some mistakes it depends probably on different functions
of these browsers.
If it is so, it is better for me if I don't put this flash things.
Anyway they are interesting and funny in some way!
Paul

Ed Mullen

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:01:10 GMT
Ed Mullen scribed:

I really like that page. Just looked it over for now but will return to
check out all clocks more thoroughly. Btw, 1 css error which may be a
simple forgotten '#' and a warning which possibly could be dealt with by
offsetting colors by 1.

Well, crap! I thought I just validated all the CSS and HTML. I guess
I'll have to do it again /apres Jim Beam/. But, thanks for the heads
up. And the interest!

Fair disclosure: As I say on the Web page, I did not create any of
these. I just collected them through searches and give attribution
where possible.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

Paul said:
Thank you very much. I have used one of those clock and put it in one of my
pages here
http://www.orefelici.com/wedding.html

If I use IE it's OK and I like it!!
But...if I use Mozilla Firefox. it is invisible...... why?

If I haven't made some mistakes it depends probably on different functions
of these browsers.
If it is so, it is better for me if I don't put this flash things.
Anyway they are interesting and funny in some way!
Paul

On that page there is a bit about embedding the clock in an HTML page
using "object." Try that. It is a way to have your HTML work
"cross-browser" and validate.

http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

I just visited Italy (Roma, Firenze and Vezzia) in September. I loved
Italy! I even got to meet for the first time my cugina in Fiugni.

My mother's maiden name was DiMarcantonio. I am half Italian and half
Irish. Which should, to anyone astute enough, explain any strange
messages I may have ever posted here. :)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Travis Newbury

Where can I get an analog clock for my web pages?
Is it a good idea or not putting that thing in the pages?
I have seen it in some sites....
Thank you
Paul

Does it add to your site? If so, then put it there, if not, then
leave it off. Google "javascript clock" or "flash clock" you should
find hundreds of them

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 01:53:32
GMT Ed Mullen scribed:
Well, crap! I thought I just validated all the CSS and HTML. I guess
I'll have to do it again /apres Jim Beam/. But, thanks for the heads
up. And the interest!

Ah, minor stuff. Don't lose any sleep over it.
Fair disclosure: As I say on the Web page, I did not create any of
these. I just collected them through searches and give attribution
where possible.

Understood. I'm curious to see how the featured clock works in all 3 main
browsers with just <object> and no <embed> (-apparently, unless there's
something in a conditional comment or I missed at a glance.) Ironically,
time is just what I need. <g>

Ed Mullen

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 01:53:32
GMT Ed Mullen scribed:

Ah, minor stuff. Don't lose any sleep over it.

Hmm. Just validated the CSS again and I see no errors. Maybe I fixed
it in my sleep!
Understood. I'm curious to see how the featured clock works in all 3 main
browsers with just <object> and no <embed> (-apparently, unless there's
something in a conditional comment or I missed at a glance.) Ironically,
time is just what I need. <g>

Works fine in IE6, IE7, SeaMonkey, Firefox, Opera and Safari.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Jonathan N. Little

Ed said:
Hmm. Just validated the CSS again and I see no errors. Maybe I fixed
it in my sleep!

/* begin link handling */
a {
cursor: pointer;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
text-decoration: none;
}

a:link {
color: #0000cc;
}

a:focus {
color: 0000cc;
^
Add '#' here---

Ed Mullen

Jonathan said:
/* begin link handling */
a {
cursor: pointer;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
text-decoration: none;
}

a:link {
color: #0000cc;
}

a:focus {
color: 0000cc;
^
Add '#' here---

Sigh. Looking at this made realize that I forgot to upload the fixed
file to the server! Thanks!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net