    I have seen it in some sites....
    Thank you
    Paul
    Paul, Jan 12, 2008

  2. Paul wrote:
    > Where can I get an analog clock for my web pages?
    > Is it a good idea or not putting that thing in the pages?
    > I have seen it in some sites....

    I don't see that there's any point. I don't know about other operating
    systems, but Windows displays the time in the lower right corner of the
    screen anyway, and most people already have the time on their wrist or
    somewhere within easy view. For those people who don't already have
    ready access to the time, their need to know the time probably isn't
    greater when they happen to be visiting your site than it is at any
    other time. So, assuming your web pages exist for some purpose, why take
    up space you could be using for that purpose to display something
    virtually useless instead?
    Harlan Messinger, Jan 12, 2008

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "Harlan Messinger" <> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:...
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Where can I get an analog clock for my web pages?
    >> Is it a good idea or not putting that thing in the pages?
    >> I have seen it in some sites....

    > I don't see that there's any point. I don't know about other operating
    > systems, but Windows displays the time in the lower right corner of the
    > screen anyway,

    yes you're right, putting a clock is almost useless, i was asking only to
    know, as I have seen it in example here:
    http://www.tgcom.mediaset.it/spettacolo/articoli/articolo224282.shtml

    thanks
    Paul
    Paul, Jan 12, 2008
  4. Harlan Messinger wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Where can I get an analog clock for my web pages?
    >> Is it a good idea or not putting that thing in the pages?
    >> I have seen it in some sites....

    > I don't see that there's any point. I don't know about other operating
    > systems, but Windows displays the time in the lower right corner of the
    > screen anyway, and most people already have the time on their wrist or
    > somewhere within easy view. For those people who don't already have
    > ready access to the time, their need to know the time probably isn't
    > greater when they happen to be visiting your site than it is at any
    > other time. So, assuming your web pages exist for some purpose, why take
    > up space you could be using for that purpose to display something
    > virtually useless instead?

    Also whose time are you going to display?, Your time, the server's time,
    the clients time...

    Unless your site is

    http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/time.htm

    I cannot see the need...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 12, 2008
  5. Paul

    dorayme Guest

    In article <4788ea4e$0$16021$>,
    "Paul" <> wrote:

    > "Harlan Messinger" <> ha scritto nel
    > messaggio news:...
    > > Paul wrote:
    > >> Where can I get an analog clock for my web pages?
    > >> Is it a good idea or not putting that thing in the pages?
    > >> I have seen it in some sites....

    > > I don't see that there's any point. I don't know about other operating
    > > systems, but Windows displays the time in the lower right corner of the
    > > screen anyway,

    > yes you're right, putting a clock is almost useless, i was asking only to
    > know, as I have seen it in example here:
    > http://www.tgcom.media

    Damn! I was waiting in great anticipation for a knockout good
    reason for having a clock on your site.

    1. My site is about clocks and ...

    2. My site is a treatise on world time and ...

    3. I am from an outer planet and wish to show my family's time to
    earthlings in a good old fashioned earthly way...

    4. I want a gorgeous French Antique clock on my site and it would
    be nice if it showed the correct local time for any visitor...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 12, 2008
  6. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "Jonathan N. Little" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Harlan Messinger wrote:
    >
    > Also whose time are you going to display?, Your time, the server's time,
    > the clients time...

    The clock showed here
    http://www.tgcom.mediaset.it/spettacolo/articoli/articolo224282.shtml

    is showing the time read in my computer (and I suppose it shows the time in
    your computer), so in case one have a clock in own web site, it must show
    the clients time read on their computer.
    In any case, if one has a little space left in his web site, he could put it
    there....I think it isn't a bad idea,
    Paul
    Paul, Jan 12, 2008
  7. Paul wrote:

    > The clock showed here
    > http://www.tgcom.mediaset.it/spettacolo/articoli/articolo224282.shtml

    ...which appears to be a Flash movie.
    <param name="movie" value="/res/swf/analog.swf">

    You could copy it, I suppose.

    > is showing the time read in my computer (and I suppose it shows the time in
    > your computer),

    Yes, it shows my local time, which is duplicated on my Ubuntu taskbar,
    on my watch, on the time/temperature device near my left speaker, on the
    corner of the TV screen ...

    > so in case one have a clock in own web site, it must show the clients
    > time read on their computer. In any case, if one has a little space
    > left in his web site, he could put it there....I think it isn't a bad
    > idea,

    There's nothing wrong with it, other than it is extra download 'fluff'.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 12, 2008
  8. Paul

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen, Jan 12, 2008
  9. Paul

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:01:10 GMT
    Ed Mullen scribed:

    > Paul wrote:
    >> Where can I get an analog clock for my web pages?

    > 2. http://edmullen.net/fclock.php

    I really like that page. Just looked it over for now but will return to
    check out all clocks more thoroughly. Btw, 1 css error which may be a
    simple forgotten '#' and a warning which possibly could be dealt with by
    offsetting colors by 1.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.
    Neredbojias, Jan 12, 2008
  10. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "Ed Mullen" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Where can I get an analog clock for my web pages?

    > 1. Google for flash clock.
    > 2. http://edmullen.net/fclock.php

    Thank you very much. I have used one of those clock and put it in one of my
    pages here
    http://www.orefelici.com/wedding.html

    If I use IE it's OK and I like it!!
    But...if I use Mozilla Firefox. it is invisible...... why?

    If I haven't made some mistakes it depends probably on different functions
    of these browsers.
    If it is so, it is better for me if I don't put this flash things.
    Anyway they are interesting and funny in some way!
    Paul
    Paul, Jan 12, 2008
  11. Paul

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:01:10 GMT
    > Ed Mullen scribed:
    >
    >> Paul wrote:
    >>> Where can I get an analog clock for my web pages?

    >> 2. http://edmullen.net/fclock.php

    > I really like that page. Just looked it over for now but will return to
    > check out all clocks more thoroughly. Btw, 1 css error which may be a
    > simple forgotten '#' and a warning which possibly could be dealt with by
    > offsetting colors by 1.

    Well, crap! I thought I just validated all the CSS and HTML. I guess
    I'll have to do it again /apres Jim Beam/. But, thanks for the heads
    up. And the interest!

    Fair disclosure: As I say on the Web page, I did not create any of
    these. I just collected them through searches and give attribution
    where possible.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jan 13, 2008
  12. Paul

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > "Ed Mullen" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> Paul wrote:
    >>> Where can I get an analog clock for my web pages?

    >> 1. Google for flash clock.
    >> 2. http://edmullen.net/fclock.php

    > Thank you very much. I have used one of those clock and put it in one of my
    > pages here
    > http://www.orefelici.com/wedding.html
    >
    > If I use IE it's OK and I like it!!
    > But...if I use Mozilla Firefox. it is invisible...... why?
    >
    > If I haven't made some mistakes it depends probably on different functions
    > of these browsers.
    > If it is so, it is better for me if I don't put this flash things.
    > Anyway they are interesting and funny in some way!
    > Paul

    On that page there is a bit about embedding the clock in an HTML page
    using "object." Try that. It is a way to have your HTML work
    "cross-browser" and validate.

    http://validator.w3.org/
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

    I just visited Italy (Roma, Firenze and Vezzia) in September. I loved
    Italy! I even got to meet for the first time my cugina in Fiugni.

    My mother's maiden name was DiMarcantonio. I am half Italian and half
    Irish. Which should, to anyone astute enough, explain any strange
    messages I may have ever posted here. :)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jan 13, 2008
  13. On Jan 12, 11:06 am, "Paul" <> wrote:
    > Where can I get an analog clock for my web pages?
    > Is it a good idea or not putting that thing in the pages?
    > I have seen it in some sites....
    > Thank you
    > Paul

    Does it add to your site? If so, then put it there, if not, then
    leave it off. Google "javascript clock" or "flash clock" you should
    find hundreds of them
    Travis Newbury, Jan 13, 2008
  14. Paul

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 01:53:32
    GMT Ed Mullen scribed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 12 Jan 2008
    >> 18:01:10 GMT Ed Mullen scribed:

    >>> 2. http://edmullen.net/fclock.php

    >> I really like that page. Just looked it over for now but will return
    >> to check out all clocks more thoroughly. Btw, 1 css error which may
    >> be a simple forgotten '#' and a warning which possibly could be dealt
    >> with by offsetting colors by 1.
    >>

    > Well, crap! I thought I just validated all the CSS and HTML. I guess
    > I'll have to do it again /apres Jim Beam/. But, thanks for the heads
    > up. And the interest!

    Ah, minor stuff. Don't lose any sleep over it.

    > Fair disclosure: As I say on the Web page, I did not create any of
    > these. I just collected them through searches and give attribution
    > where possible.

    Understood. I'm curious to see how the featured clock works in all 3 main
    browsers with just <object> and no <embed> (-apparently, unless there's
    something in a conditional comment or I missed at a glance.) Ironically,
    time is just what I need. <g>

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.
    Neredbojias, Jan 13, 2008
  15. Paul

    BootNic Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in

    > If I use IE it's OK and I like it!!
    > But...if I use Mozilla Firefox. it is invisible...... why?

    The object attribute data is incorrect. data="NameOfFlashFile.swf"
    should be the same as the param movie value
    "http://www.orefelici.com/relog.swf"

    --
    BootNic Sunday January 13, 2008 12:40 PM
    Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility.
    BootNic, Jan 13, 2008
  16. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "BootNic" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > "Paul" <> wrote in
    >
    >> If I use IE it's OK and I like it!!
    >> But...if I use Mozilla Firefox. it is invisible...... why?

    > The object attribute data is incorrect. data="NameOfFlashFile.swf"
    > should be the same as the param movie value
    > "http://www.orefelici.com/relog.swf"

    Yes, you're right, I have already seen my mistake and begin to correct it.
    Thank you
    Paul
    Paul, Jan 13, 2008
  17. Paul

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 01:53:32
    > GMT Ed Mullen scribed:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 12 Jan 2008
    >>> 18:01:10 GMT Ed Mullen scribed:

    >>> I really like that page. Just looked it over for now but will return
    >>> to check out all clocks more thoroughly. Btw, 1 css error which may
    >>> be a simple forgotten '#' and a warning which possibly could be dealt
    >>> with by offsetting colors by 1.
    >>>

    >> Well, crap! I thought I just validated all the CSS and HTML. I guess
    >> I'll have to do it again /apres Jim Beam/. But, thanks for the heads
    >> up. And the interest!

    > Ah, minor stuff. Don't lose any sleep over it.

    Hmm. Just validated the CSS again and I see no errors. Maybe I fixed
    it in my sleep!

    >> Fair disclosure: As I say on the Web page, I did not create any of
    >> these. I just collected them through searches and give attribution
    >> where possible.

    > Understood. I'm curious to see how the featured clock works in all 3 main
    > browsers with just <object> and no <embed> (-apparently, unless there's
    > something in a conditional comment or I missed at a glance.) Ironically,
    > time is just what I need. <g>

    Works fine in IE6, IE7, SeaMonkey, Firefox, Opera and Safari.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jan 13, 2008
  18. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Hmm. Just validated the CSS again and I see no errors. Maybe I fixed
    > it in my sleep!

    /* begin link handling */
    a {
    cursor: pointer;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    text-decoration: none;
    }

    a:link {
    color: #0000cc;
    }

    a:focus {
    color: 0000cc;
    ^
    Add '#' here---

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 13, 2008
  19. Paul

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm. Just validated the CSS again and I see no errors. Maybe I fixed
    >> it in my sleep!

    > /* begin link handling */
    > a {
    > cursor: pointer;
    > background-repeat: no-repeat;
    > text-decoration: none;
    > }
    >
    > a:link {
    > color: #0000cc;
    > }
    >
    > a:focus {
    > color: 0000cc;
    > ^
    > Add '#' here---

    Sigh. Looking at this made realize that I forgot to upload the fixed
    file to the server! Thanks!

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jan 13, 2008
  20. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Sigh. Looking at this made realize that I forgot to upload the fixed
    > file to the server! Thanks!

    Been there and done that! ;-)

    --
    Take care,