Analysis of that "Dropping two glass balls from a building" puzzle. (WAS: analytical Skill for Java

Oliver Wong

A while back, someone posted a thread called "analytical Skill for Java
Development" which eventually had a lot of us discussing a puzzle about
dropping two glass balls from a building. The first post of that thread is
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/a2d6bb1ab51f0c0e
and the first mention of the puzzle itself is in
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/702d6b18c5ff0c1d

(The post has expired from my newsserver which is why I didn't reply to
it, but started this new thread).

Anyway, just posting to let you know that the puzzle has been posted on
rec.puzzles, where someone has provided a complete analysis of the problem
to solve it for any number of floors and any number of balls to be dropped
(as opposed to our brute-force solution for 100 floors and 2 balls). The
post is at http://groups.google.com/group/rec.puzzles/msg/d257362573bf3a3e

- Oliver