Analytical or Intuitive?

elena

I have a test online that measures cognitive style. It determines
whether the participant has an intuitive or analytical learning style.
It takes about 5 minutes.

It's here: http://www.elena.com

I'm a long-time software engineer who's thinking about changing
careers, hence the psychology course. I ended up wanting to study
people like me (not surprising I guess).

I know the sample will be non-probabilistic. So this will be a
quasi-experiment.

Elena

Eric Sosman

I have a test online that measures cognitive style. [...]

It measures no such thing. It measures nothing at all.
I can refute any proof you might offer that it measures what
you claim; I can thus show that the probability you are self-
deluded exceeds 96.3% (and if you'll give me time, I can tack
on another decimal place).

Any more questions? ;-)

Guillaume

I have a test online that measures cognitive style. It determines
whether the participant has an intuitive or analytical learning style.
It takes about 5 minutes.

I got 53.
;-)

karthik.naig

Eric said:
I have a test online that measures cognitive style. [...]

It measures no such thing. It measures nothing at all.
I can refute any proof you might offer that it measures what
you claim; I can thus show that the probability you are self-
deluded exceeds 96.3% (and if you'll give me time, I can tack
on another decimal place).

Any more questions? ;-)

Hi Elena,

That's a wonderful name. Which country are you from? Before I comment
on your project, I wish you the best of luck in your new career.

As for your project, I kinda agree with Eric here. Your test measures
impulse versus methodicity (if there is such a word). Not intuition.

Intuition is not impulse, not instinct, not belief and definitely not
the absence of thought. Intuition is an extremely rare quality amongst
us humans. It is possible that all humans exhibit intuition, but if
that is the case, then it is to a very small degree.

Unlike instinct, which can be wrong at times, unlike impulse, which
is a hasty decision, unlike belief, which is something you have
conditioned your mind to, and unlike irrationality, which is plain
absence of reason, intuition is the highest form of knowledge - you
just know something. Period.

Intuition is always right. Every single time.For eg. it is said that
animals can forecast the occurances of natural disasters. During the
recent Tsunami in my country, apparently all the dogs and the tribals
ran towards the dense jungles and hilltops in the Andaman and Nicobar
Islands and escaped unscathed. That is intuition.

When Einstein was working on his theory of relativity, he had reached
a stumbling block. Apparently he had to decide between accepting
Maxwell's Electromagnetic Wave theory or Max Planck's Quantum theory to
explain the nature of light. He chose the quantum theory. The rest, as
they say, is history. That was intuition.

All those who shun analysis and give in to impulse do not necessarily
become highly intuitive thinkers. Similarly, all lovers of order are
not necessarily incapable of intuition.

The survey you have used to gather data is a very dangerous method of
going abt things. Hope you will not start your new career on a wrong
note.

Hope this helps.

Best regards and wishing you all the very best in your new career,
Karthik.