Anchored links for aspx files

.Net Sports

It seems I can't get an anchored link inside an aspx address to work.
I'm looking to create an anchored link with the title of a news article
here:

<asp:DataList id="thedata2" runat="server"
RepeatColumns="1" RepeatDirection="vertical"
CellSpacing="3">
<ItemTemplate>
<b><a href="#a<%# Container.DataItem("newsID")%>"><%#
Container.DataItem("newsheader")%></a></b>
'''the rest of the repeater stuff with closing tags

Now I dynamically create the destination anchor here:

<asp:DataList id="thedata" runat="server"
RepeatColumns="1" RepeatDirection="vertical"
CellSpacing="3">
<ItemTemplate>
<A NAME="a<%# Container.DataItem("newsID")%>"><b><%#
Container.DataItem("newsheader")%></b>
'''the rest of the repeater stuff with closing tags

The address with the mypage.aspx#a100 (or whatever the newsID happens
to be) shows up in the status bar on the browser, but clicking into the
link doesnt go to the destination; nothing happens.

..NetSports