    DataRepeater...but not sure. Has anybody ever heard of using a DataSet
    where the records are not in Table format, but in a hierarchical XML format
    (where a record has children records which each have more childrens...etc?)
    Sky, Jan 28, 2004

  2. I wonder if you could rework Denis Bauer's HierarGrid for that?

    http://www.denisbauer.com/ASPNETControls/HierarGrid.aspx

    Also saw this:

    http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/applypattern.asp

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jan 28, 2004

  3. There is a sample in Stephen Walther's book Asp.Net Unleashed that binds the
    IE treeview control to an xml file.

    --

    Alphonse Giambrone
    Email: a-giam at customdatasolutions dot us

    Alphonse Giambrone, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Sky

    Sky Guest

    Dear Ken:
    Thanks for the pointers: the first I knew about -- but turned down to being
    too tied to datasets and datagrids (and his warning that he is not sure how
    deep it can go before falling apart) --
    but the second project, although not exactly what i was looking for, looks
    really really like a good find as to a mind-opener.... I'll be spending some
    time this weekend pulling it apart to get a grip on what exactly it is
    doing.

    I think that what I was after -- and probably will have to do myself is the
    following.

    A preamble: about 6 months ago I was working in php -- and built an treegrid
    that built itself via JS on the clientside, from an xml 'home-brew dataset'
    that fetched/refreshed nodes...no need to refresh the whole page.
    In fact all projects I was doing at that point were about decreasing the
    page refresh, and dynamically including JS, HTML, CSS, as needed into the
    pages. Getting HTML to look like Flash!

    The only problem with this direction was the php: the non-ability to wrap up
    my code as components and be done with it: with all my files always being
    cross-related, all my projects were ... 'fragile'. Hence looking at ASP.NET
    to do [redo!] components/apps as modules to plug-in to whatever project/app
    I was working on at that point.

    My huge disappointment was the architecture of ASP.NET based on Get/Post and
    form elements. I thought we had gotten past that form stuff like 5 years
    ago, and now that we had xmlhttp we could do this non-refresh stuff for all
    controls. Big mistake. Not only was the viewstate huge, but the actual page
    refreshes were consuming bandwidth -- as well as server time to
    build/rebuild the interfaces.

    So I am looking for a treegrid -- or the beginnings of one that I can
    finish, or insight/guidance from someone who knows more about asp.net than
    me (that includes just about anyone at this point ;-[ !!! ) that:

    a) Reads a datasource tables -- or several, if held together by one or more
    ParentID, ChildID tables ,
    b) Builds an [xml? only datastructure I can use?] tree of nodes to hold this
    info together as one block
    c) Pass this xml to a [unknown: can a DataRepeater be used here] to build
    the first tree
    d) Send this to client along with JS to do SOAP calls ("need children of
    node no 3") and add new rows to the grid on client upon return
    e) A Service that can accept calls for more nodes -- and update the backend
    xml 'tree' so that if the person hits refresh at any point the clientside
    and serverside trees are in synch and therefore would render everything
    exactly as is--just that it was built server side, rather than clientside
    this time....

    Yeah. Pretty obnoxious of me to want to throw out the baby with the
    bathwater (disregard the DataGrid and ilk) but --- for one, I think this
    control covers enough "areas" of asp.net that I will learn a lot...b) I
    think it will liked...
    What do you think of my mad capper?

    PS: again, thanks for the good pointers to that article.
    Sky

    Sky, Jan 28, 2004