And the new kid on the block...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 2, 2008.

  1. On 2008-09-02, Travis Newbury wrote:
    > So, any thoughts on the new google browser?

    URL?

    ;)

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 2, 2008

  2. Travis Newbury, Sep 2, 2008

  3. Chris F.A. Johnson

    dorayme Guest

    In article <12c44$48bc839d$cef88ba3$>,
    "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:

    > On 2008-09-02, Travis Newbury wrote:
    > > So, any thoughts on the new google browser?

    > URL?
    >
    > ;)

    No need, Travis, you are welcome to include the code on this one
    occasion.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 2, 2008
  4. On Sep 1, 8:14 pm, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    > So, any thoughts on the new google browser?

    Apparently not... Because no one else seems to have an opinion I
    guess I will add my own...

    First, the world uses google. So if they come out with an "easy to
    install browser", and suggests to googleites that it would be good to
    use it, I would assume that it will grab a nice chunk of the market
    very fast. I would guess at the very least it will almost instantly
    catch up with firefox. This is especially true if the said browser
    actually does a good job of displaying pages.

    With a little reading, it looks like Google is moving in the direction
    of adding the ability to have google browser specific code on web
    pages (nothing like opening the door for innovation). And I would
    guess that Flash and some of the google products will be much more
    integrated with the browser, allowing better/easier web application
    development.

    So, if it does take hold, we will have another browser to contend
    with.

    --
    Travis
    Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com
    Travis Newbury, Sep 2, 2008
  5. Chris F.A. Johnson

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode,
    <>, the
    lovely and talented Travis Newbury broadcast on alt.html:

    > So, any thoughts on the new google browser?

    I expect they will do to the web what they did to Usenet:
    try to take it proprietary.

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    Save the whales! Collect the whole set!
    Lars Eighner, Sep 2, 2008
  6. On Sep 2, 9:18 am, Lars Eighner <> wrote:
    > In our last episode,
    > <>, the
    > lovely and talented Travis Newbury broadcast on alt.html:
    >
    > > So, any thoughts on the new google browser?

    > I expect they will do to the web what they did to Usenet:
    > try to take it proprietary.
    >
    > --
    > Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    >                     Save the whales! Collect the whole set!

    I tend to agree with their philosophy. (Here is their philosophy if
    you have not read it yet: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/)

    We use the web differently today than we did even a few years ago. It
    is time for it to evolve. They want to be part of that evolution
    (maybe even direct it a little). I am all for their innovations, and
    the fact that everything they do is open source they want to share
    their innovations with all the other browsers makers. Free code, free
    innovation. But I am sure we will hear more than a fair share of
    moaning and gnashing of teeth...

    Travis Newbury, Sep 2, 2008
  7. On 2008-09-02, Travis Newbury wrote:
    > On Sep 2, 9:18 am, Lars Eighner <> wrote:
    >> In our last episode,
    >> <>, the
    >> lovely and talented Travis Newbury broadcast on alt.html:
    >>
    >> > So, any thoughts on the new google browser?

    >> I expect they will do to the web what they did to Usenet:
    >> try to take it proprietary.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    >>                     Save the whales! Collect the whole set!

    > I tend to agree with their philosophy. (Here is their philosophy if
    > you have not read it yet: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/)

    Is the information in that page available somewhere in a
    readable format?

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 2, 2008
  8. Chris F.A. Johnson

    dorayme Guest

    In article <d2edb$48bd69a3$cef88ba3$>,
    "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:

    > On 2008-09-02, Travis Newbury wrote:
    > > On Sep 2, 9:18 am, Lars Eighner <> wrote:
    > >> In our last episode,
    > >> <>, the
    > >> lovely and talented Travis Newbury broadcast on alt.html:

    > >> I expect they will do to the web what they did to Usenet:
    > >> try to take it proprietary.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    > >>                     Save the whales! Collect the whole set!

    > > I tend to agree with their philosophy. (Here is their philosophy if
    > > you have not read it yet: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/)

    > Is the information in that page available somewhere in a
    > readable format?

    I noticed that as I clicked the next button to turn the pages, it
    skipped a page as often as not and I had to go back (I *had* to go back
    because I love reading comics)

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 2, 2008
  9. On Sep 2, 12:28 pm, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:
    > > I tend to agree with their philosophy. (Here is their philosophy if
    > > you have not read it yet:http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/)

    >      Is the information in that page available somewhere in a
    >      readable format?

    Probably. I do agree I would have liked to have seen it in a non comic
    book format. It is almost insulting to anyone with a briain.

    Travis Newbury, Sep 2, 2008
  10. On 2008-09-02, dorayme wrote:
    > In article <d2edb$48bd69a3$cef88ba3$>,
    > "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-02, Travis Newbury wrote:

    >> > I tend to agree with their philosophy. (Here is their philosophy if
    >> > you have not read it yet: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/)

    >> Is the information in that page available somewhere in a
    >> readable format?

    > I noticed that as I clicked the next button to turn the pages, it
    > skipped a page as often as not and I had to go back (I *had* to go back
    > because I love reading comics)

    I had to increase the size to make it readable and therefore had
    to scroll right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down
    in order to read a page.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 2, 2008
  11. On 2008-09-02, dorayme wrote:
    > In article <88dbf$48bdbd01$cef88ba3$>,
    > "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-09-02, dorayme wrote:

    >> > I noticed that as I clicked the next button to turn the pages, it
    >> > skipped a page as often as not and I had to go back (I *had* to go back
    >> > because I love reading comics)

    >> I had to increase the size to make it readable and therefore had
    >> to scroll right, left, down, right, left, down, right, left, down
    >> in order to read a page.

    > Ideally, they should have floated the panels in div boxes, made the text
    > bigger, even used that SVG graphics...

    Ideally, they should have used text for text and images for
    illustration.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 2, 2008
  12. Chris F.A. Johnson

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Sep 2, 12:28 pm, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:
    > > > I tend to agree with their philosophy. (Here is their philosophy if
    > > > you have not read it yet:http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/)

    > >      Is the information in that page available somewhere in a
    > >      readable format?

    > Probably. I do agree I would have liked to have seen it in a non comic
    > book format. It is almost insulting to anyone with a briain.

    So *that* is why it so appealed to me.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 2, 2008
  13. Chris F.A. Johnson

    dorayme Guest

    dorayme, Sep 2, 2008
  14. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
    <> writing in news:34ef0bde-6ed2-4fcf-86fc-
    :

    > So, any thoughts on the new google browser?

    I had problems finding it because of some javascript errors on the main
    download page, and then found it at
    [http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html].

    True, it's in beta, but, for me, it will never replace Opera. I am too
    fond of mouse gestures, and it only offered to import bookmarks from
    Firefox and IE - everything I have is in Opera, and I don't think I'm
    going to want to take the time to import them manually - besides, I love
    Opera's ability to synch bookmarks across computers (I have a computer
    at work, and one at home).

    It seemed to be pretty fast, but it told me I had to download Adobe PDF
    for reading a PDF document, even though I have Foxit Reader as my
    default reader, and Adobe installed as well. It does not have a way to
    tell it that you want certain file types not opened in a browser, for
    example, PDF documents.

    It's nice to know that it passed the Acid2 test. It seems to really
    want a background image/color for the HTML element as well, and it
    leaves a pretty big area white if that information is missing. Examples:
    [http://cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlelive.jpg] (without HTML
    element) and [http://cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlelocal.jpg]
    (with HTML element). I also find it interesting that it defaults to
    white, as my window background color is pale blue - not white.

    The other thing I don't like the the fact that the domain name is bold,
    while the document name is almost greyed out - this could be a real
    issue for persons with low vision problems.

    That's it for now... back to work.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 3, 2008
  15. Chris F.A. Johnson

    +mrcakey Guest

    This is great fun!

    It's like marking teacher's homework.

    Minus 20 points for being COMPLETELY inaccessible.

    +mrcakey
    +mrcakey, Sep 3, 2008
  16. Chris F.A. Johnson

    +mrcakey Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
    > <> writing in news:34ef0bde-6ed2-4fcf-86fc-
    > :

    <snip>

    > The other thing I don't like the the fact that the domain name is bold,
    > while the document name is almost greyed out - this could be a real
    > issue for persons with low vision problems.

    IE8 was doing that in beta1 as well.

    Opera does have an export bookmarks option if you really wanted. Not that
    you're planning to migrate, but it would be there if you needed it.

    +mrcakey
    +mrcakey, Sep 3, 2008
  17. Chris F.A. Johnson

    Guest

    On Sep 3, 3:31 am, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
    > <> writing in news:34ef0bde-6ed2-4fcf-86fc-
    > :
    >
    > > So, any thoughts on the new google browser?

    > I had problems finding it because of some javascript errors on the main
    > download page, and then found it at
    > [http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html].
    >
    > True, it's in beta, but, for me, it will never replace Opera.  I am too
    > fond of mouse gestures, and it only offered to import bookmarks from
    > Firefox and IE - everything I have is in Opera, and I don't think I'm
    > going to want to take the time to import them manually - besides, I love
    > Opera's ability to synch bookmarks across computers (I have a computer
    > at work, and one at home).
    >
    > It seemed to be pretty fast, but it told me I had to download Adobe PDF
    > for reading a PDF document, even though I have Foxit Reader as my
    > default reader, and Adobe installed as well.  It does not have a way to
    > tell it that you want certain file types not opened in a browser, for
    > example, PDF documents.
    >
    > It's nice to know that it passed the Acid2 test.  It seems to really
    > want a background image/color for the HTML element as well, and it
    > leaves a pretty big area white if that information is missing. Examples:
    > [http://cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlelive.jpg] (without HTML
    > element) and [http://cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlelocal.jpg]
    > (with HTML element).  I also find it interesting that it defaults to
    > white, as my window background color is pale blue - not white.
    >
    > The other thing I don't like the the fact that the domain name is bold,
    > while the document name is almost greyed out - this could be a real
    > issue for persons with low vision problems.
    >
    > That's it for now... back to work.
    >
    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell at Home
    > Arbpen Web Site Design Serviceshttp://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    For some unknown reason Google has never supported Opera
    Regards, Kenneth.
    , Sep 3, 2008
  18. On Sep 3, 3:49 am, "+mrcakey" <> wrote:
    > Minus 20 points for being COMPLETELY inaccessible.

    Jeeze what a bunch of whiny little kids. Every one of you could have
    read it if you wanted to. You might have been slightly inconvenienced
    for a few minutes, but you could have read it if you wanted to. So
    those that know how to "not read it" can read it, and those that don't
    know how to "not read it" can read it. The format worked for
    everyone. A small groups may have been slightly inconvenienced for a
    few minutes. So what.

    Personally, I think it fails because it will turn away the audience
    it is obviously geared for, that is a more technical crowd, who will
    feel talked down to with the comic book format.

    Travis Newbury, Sep 3, 2008
  19. Chris F.A. Johnson

    Bergamot Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
    > <> writing in news:34ef0bde-6ed2-4fcf-86fc-
    > :
    >
    >> So, any thoughts on the new google browser?

    > It does not have a way to
    > tell it that you want certain file types not opened in a browser, for
    > example, PDF documents.

    I wouldn't put all the blame on the browser for that. It should be a
    setting in the plug-in app. I know the Adobe Reader has such a setting
    and it works marvelously in gecko browsers. Chrome, however, decides to
    automatically download a pdf instead. It should ask me what to do. Maybe
    it will in the next beta version.

    > It seems to really
    > want a background image/color for the HTML element as well, and it
    > leaves a pretty big area white if that information is missing. Examples:
    > [http://cavalcade-of-coding.info/usenet/googlelive.jpg]

    FYI, I get the same result on that page in Seamonkey. That space at the
    top of the page is actually the top margin of the h1 element. It's
    related to collapsing margins, not the HTML element.

    > I also find it interesting that it defaults to
    > white, as my window background color is pale blue - not white.

    Chrome isn't the only browser that doesn't use system settings or native
    widgets. Windows Safari certainly doesn't, for anything. Gecko does for
    some things, not for others. Opera doesn't for any form controls, at least.

    > The other thing I don't like the the fact that the domain name is bold,
    > while the document name is almost greyed out

    That is indeed odd.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Sep 3, 2008
  20. Chris F.A. Johnson

    Bergamot Guest

    Ben C wrote:
    > On 2008-09-03, Bergamot <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > [...]
    >>> The other thing I don't like the the fact that the domain name is bold,
    >>> while the document name is almost greyed out

    >> That is indeed odd.

    > So the idea is you draw the user's attention to the domain name so they
    > are more likely to notice if it's not www.barclays.co.uk or whatever it
    > should be.

    I didn't think of it that way. It sort of makes sense, but I hope it
    will be a feature the user can disable if they choose.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Sep 3, 2008