    Or are animated PNGs just a hypothetical thing at this point?

    --
    Rhino
    Rhino, Oct 29, 2005

  2. > I've heard that PNG files have the capability of storing sufficient
    > information to represent an entire animation, much like an animated GIF
    > does
    > today but without the copyright/patent issues that GIFs represent.
    >
    > Are there actually any animated PNGs in existence? If so, how could I find
    > some? I have a program that displays various image files using the ImageIO
    > classes and I'd like to see if it works with a real animated PNG.
    >
    > Or are animated PNGs just a hypothetical thing at this point?

    Animated PNG = MNG

    --
    Andrey Kuznetsov
    http://uio.imagero.com Unified I/O for Java
    Andrey Kuznetsov, Oct 29, 2005

  3. Rhino

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:29:14 -0400, "Rhino"
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/mng.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Oct 30, 2005
  4. Rhino

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Rhino <> wrote or quoted:

    > I've heard that PNG files have the capability of storing sufficient
    > information to represent an entire animation, much like an animated GIF does
    > today but without the copyright/patent issues that GIFs represent.

    The GIF patent expired in 2003.

    There is no copyright issue unique to GIFs.

    "Gif Liberation Day"

    - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3007862.stm
    --
    __________
    Tim Tyler, Oct 30, 2005
  5. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    "Tim Tyler" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Rhino <> wrote or quoted:
    >
    > > I've heard that PNG files have the capability of storing sufficient
    > > information to represent an entire animation, much like an animated GIF

    does
    > > today but without the copyright/patent issues that GIFs represent.

    > The GIF patent expired in 2003.
    >
    > There is no copyright issue unique to GIFs.
    >
    > "Gif Liberation Day"
    >
    > - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3007862.stm
    > --

    Thank you for the informative link! I knew that the GIF copyright had
    expired in the US but understood that it was still in effect in other
    countries, including here in Canada. The article explained that the Canadian
    copyright ended last year so I should be free to use GIFs to my heart's
    content.

    Unfortunately, the good folks at Sun don't appear to have provided a GIF
    writer for ImageIO, despite the lapse of the copyright. Until someone can
    point me to a GIF writer plugin for ImageIO or a transcoder that can convert
    GIFs to another format, I still have no way to create a GIF with ImageIO
    short of coding my own writer or transcoder. I'd really prefer to avoid
    that!

    Any suggestions?

    This is not a big deal for me at the moment; I really just wanted to write
    out some GIFs that I was reading in some diagnostic code to prove that the
    GIF was being correctly read and parsed by my code. Still, the need to write
    GIFs to files (either as GIFs or in some other format) could arise at any
    time so it would be nice to have a solution ;-)

    Rhino
    Rhino, Oct 30, 2005
  6. Rhino

    JScoobyCed Guest

    Rhino wrote:
    > Unfortunately, the good folks at Sun don't appear to have provided a GIF
    > writer for ImageIO, despite the lapse of the copyright. Until someone can
    > point me to a GIF writer plugin for ImageIO or a transcoder that can convert
    > GIFs to another format, I still have no way to create a GIF with ImageIO
    > short of coding my own writer or transcoder. I'd really prefer to avoid
    > that!
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    J2SE 6 imageIO will have a GIF reader/writer:
    http://download.java.net/jdk6/docs/api/javax/imageio/package-summary.html

    or
    http://download.java.net/jdk6/docs

    Note: this is still a development version.

    --
    JSC
    JScoobyCed, Oct 31, 2005
  7. Rhino wrote:
    > Unfortunately, the good folks at Sun don't appear to have provided a GIF
    > writer for ImageIO, despite the lapse of the copyright.

    I doubt they will be rushing in with one.

    <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/e0bf015d46c68c50>

    [ Still waiting on any communication from Unisys.. ]
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 31, 2005
  8. Rhino

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:17:43 GMT, Tim Tyler <> wrote,

    >There is no copyright issue unique to GIFs.

    So the motive for no GIF writer is then a desire to push people to the
    richer PNG format with variable alpha.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Oct 31, 2005
  9. JScoobyCed wrote:

    > J2SE 6 imageIO will have a GIF reader/writer:
    > http://download.java.net/jdk6/docs/api/javax/imageio/package-summary.html

    ....hmmm. :)

    > Note: this is still a development version.

    Yeah, but.. there might be two reasons Sun would withdraw
    support for writing the form of GIF's they are describing here.
    <http://download.java.net/jdk6/docs/api/javax/imageio/package-summary.html#gif_plugin_notes>

    a) 100+ votes against the inclusion of GIF support
    for 'bloating of the API' (shrugs vaguely), or..
    b) a legal/licensing challenge from Unisys.

    I doubt either of those things will come to pass.

    [ Thanks for proving me wrong (see my other,
    earlier reply). You made my day. :) ]
    Andrew Thompson, Nov 1, 2005