Animosity on the part of Mr Richard Heathfield

Anonymous

Tomás,

Don't let them get to you.

As an "Asian-American", I didn't throw a hissy fit when the
following was said about me:

Joachim Schmitz: "What else would be expected out of China
than to not honor intellectual property?"

Chris Dollin: "I think that remark is an ill-considered and
unhelpful generalisation."

Joachim Schmitz: "I don't think so, I believe it's a general
chinese mentality thing."

(dead silence from everyone on the newsgroup)

There was no outcry there or ostracization of Mr. Schmitz, and
I don't believe there should be. Nor do I believe Mr. Schmitz
should have those words thrown back at him every time he posts
here. I don't think of Mr. Schmitz as a racist.

The fact is that many of the regulars on this newsgroup
are sniveling and hypocritical little weasels. That some
of them apparently consider themselves Christians (forgiveness,
turning the other cheek, judge not, mote from thine eye)
adds to the general level of absurdity and further reinforces my
belief that there aren't any actual Christians in the world
today, if there ever were.

Yours,
Han from China

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

There was no outcry there or ostracization of Mr. Schmitz, and
I don't believe there should be. Nor do I believe Mr. Schmitz
should have those words thrown back at him every time he posts
here. I don't think of Mr. Schmitz as a racist.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing that.

There is definitely hypocrisy going on here. It seems as though it's
OK to criticise the Chinese because they "live far enough way". But of
course, because the group I criticised were living on my doorstep, I
have to be "racist".

There's no end of bullshit here. I wish someone would explain how I
could possibly be "racist". As I've said already, if a member of the
original group I criticised were to have a bath and change their
clothes, I would no longer be prejudiced against them, thus it's clear
to see that their race is not a factor in my prejudice.

Keith Thompson

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
There's no end of bullshit here. I wish someone would explain how I
could possibly be "racist". As I've said already, if a member of the
original group I criticised were to have a bath and change their
clothes, I would no longer be prejudiced against them, thus it's clear
to see that their race is not a factor in my prejudice.

Ok, since you asked for an explanation, think about this.

If race isn't a factor in your prejudice, why did you feel it
necessary to mention the ethnicity of the people you were criticizing?
And why did you in effect criticize *all* members of that ethnic group
rather than any particular individual? Have observed each individual
member of that group behaving in the ways that you find so disgusting?

And why mention it here in the first place?

(These are rhetorical questions, intended to invite you to think about
your own attitudes; I frankly don't care about the answers.)

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

If race isn't a factor in your prejudice, why did you feel it
necessary to mention the ethnicity of the people you were criticizing?

Wait I'm losing track here... am I ethnicist or racist? Mr Heathfield
chose to use the latter term because it's associated with such things
as slavery and so has a much greater impact in character-
assassination. Saying "ethnicist" has much less impact regardless of
whether I deal in slaves or not.

And why did you in effect criticize *all* members of that ethnic group
rather than any particular individual?  Have observed each individual
member of that group behaving in the ways that you find so disgusting?

I actually don't identify them by "race", nor have I ever said that I
did. I identify them by the clothes they wear, and I use the name that
they identify themselves by. It's purely coincidental that the name
they use is also indicative of their ethnicity. If they were to change
their clothes, I wouldn't be able to distinguish them from members of
the same race as them (Oh wait, wait, wait, now we have to define what
"race" means in order to ascertain whether the original group I
criticised are actually an individual race, and therefore ascertain
whether I am racist).

If had come from such a seedy background and wanted to better myself,
the first thing I'd do is change my clothes so that I wouldn't be
categorised as one of them. If you come from a background of Nazis,
all you can do to better yourself is distance yourself from them.

There are good black people, there are bad black people. There are
good white people, there are bad black people. The original group I
criticised has such a bad reputation all over the world, that if there
were to be a splinter group of "good people", they would have to call
themselves by another name and distance themselves from the original
group.

Keith Thompson

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
Wait I'm losing track here... am I ethnicist or racist?

I don't care.

I intend to drop this discussion, and I encourage everyone else to do
likewise.

Richard

Keith Thompson said:
Ok, since you asked for an explanation, think about this.

If race isn't a factor in your prejudice, why did you feel it

Of course race is a factor. As it is with every decision we make related
to international issues. Like it or not.
necessary to mention the ethnicity of the people you were criticizing?

They are known as thieving gypsies for a reason.
And why did you in effect criticize *all* members of that ethnic group
rather than any particular individual? Have observed each individual
member of that group behaving in the ways that you find so disgusting?

It's called a generalisation.
And why mention it here in the first place?

(These are rhetorical questions, intended to invite you to think about
your own attitudes; I frankly don't care about the answers.)

Like most Arabs are liars. They lie as a part of their
culture. But then they figured life was a game a long time ago.

Do they all? No.

Frankly I find Heathfield's small minded, nasty Christian outlook much
more repulsive.

CBFalconer

Richard said:
.... snip ...

Frankly I find Heathfield's small minded, nasty Christian outlook
much more repulsive.

Well, your nymshifting did escape my filters for a while. PLONK.