ANN: ActivePython 2.3.2 & ActivePython 2.2.3

Discussion in 'Python' started by Trent Mick, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Trent Mick

    Trent Mick Guest

    We are pleased to announce that versions 2.3.2 and 2.2.3 of ActivePython
    are now available for download from:
    http://www.ActiveState.com/ActivePython
    ActivePython 2.3.2 is the first ActivePython release for the Python
    2.3.x series. ActivePython 2.2.3 is a bugfix release for, and
    supercedes, ActivePython 2.2.2.

    ActivePython is ActiveState's quality-assured binary build of Python.
    Builds are currently available for Windows, Linux and Solaris.

    In addition to the core language, ActivePython features:
    * zlib and bzip2 for data compression;
    * Tkinter for Tk development;
    * a large set of useful Python documentation; and,
    * on Windows, Mark Hammond's PyWin32 extensions,
    including the Pythonwin IDE, support for Python ASP, the PythonCOM
    system.

    Please submit email feedback to:

    and file bugs against ActivePython at
    http://bugs.ActiveState.com/ActivePython

    Thanks, and enjoy!

    Trent

    --
    Trent Mick
    Trent Mick, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Trent Mick

    Matthew Guest

    Trent Mick <> wrote ...
    > We are pleased to announce that versions 2.3.2 and 2.2.3 of ActivePython
    > are now available for download from:
    > http://www.ActiveState.com/ActivePython
    > ActivePython 2.3.2 is the first ActivePython release for the Python
    > 2.3.x series. ActivePython 2.2.3 is a bugfix release for, and
    > supercedes, ActivePython 2.2.2.

    The ActiveState web site says that the version of PyWin32 is build
    146, which is fairly old.

    Does anyone know if that's correct, or is it just the documentation
    that's out of date?
    Matthew, Oct 31, 2003

  3. Trent Mick

    Trent Mick Guest

    [Matthew wrote]
    > Trent Mick <> wrote ...
    > > We are pleased to announce that versions 2.3.2 and 2.2.3 of ActivePython
    > > are now available for download from:
    > > http://www.ActiveState.com/ActivePython
    > > ActivePython 2.3.2 is the first ActivePython release for the Python
    > > 2.3.x series. ActivePython 2.2.3 is a bugfix release for, and
    > > supercedes, ActivePython 2.2.2.

    > The ActiveState web site says that the version of PyWin32 is build
    > 146, which is fairly old.
    >
    > Does anyone know if that's correct, or is it just the documentation
    > that's out of date?

    The docs are just out of date. I hope to have a fix for the doc up early
    next week. The actual PyWin32 versions are as follows:
    ActivePython 2.3.2 build 230: PyWin32 b159
    ActivePython 2.2.3 build 225: PyWin32 b158
    These are the latest "stable" PyWin32 build numbers.

    Cheers,
    Trent

    --
    Trent Mick
    Trent Mick, Oct 31, 2003
  4. Trent Mick <> writes:

    > [Matthew wrote]
    >> Trent Mick <> wrote ...
    >> > We are pleased to announce that versions 2.3.2 and 2.2.3 of ActivePython
    >> > are now available for download from:
    >> > http://www.ActiveState.com/ActivePython
    >> > ActivePython 2.3.2 is the first ActivePython release for the Python
    >> > 2.3.x series. ActivePython 2.2.3 is a bugfix release for, and
    >> > supercedes, ActivePython 2.2.2.

    >> The ActiveState web site says that the version of PyWin32 is build
    >> 146, which is fairly old.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if that's correct, or is it just the documentation
    >> that's out of date?

    > The docs are just out of date. I hope to have a fix for the doc up early
    > next week. The actual PyWin32 versions are as follows:
    > ActivePython 2.3.2 build 230: PyWin32 b159
    > ActivePython 2.2.3 build 225: PyWin32 b158
    > These are the latest "stable" PyWin32 build numbers.

    Which is a pity, since the upcoming py2exe (for python 2.3) requires
    win32all build 161 or later, if win32all is used.

    Thomas
    Thomas Heller, Nov 1, 2003
  5. Trent Mick

    Trent Mick Guest

    [Thomas Heller wrote]
    > Which is a pity, since the upcoming py2exe (for python 2.3) requires
    > win32all build 161 or later, if win32all is used.

    What is the "word on the street" for win32all builds 160 and 161?
    Currently the PyWin32 site says:

    http://starship.python.net/~skippy/win32/Downloads.html

    These versions are fairly new, and as such should be considered
    experimental. After a few success reports, these will be be
    considered the latest stable releases.

    ....so I was just being cautious. If people consider those builds stable
    enough I wouldn't have a problem upgrading ActivePython's win32all.

    Is there a whole lot that is new in builds 160/161?

    Trent

    --
    Trent Mick
    Trent Mick, Nov 1, 2003