ANN: ActivePython 2.4.2 is now available

Discussion in 'Python' started by TrentM@ActiveState.com, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'm happy to announce that ActivePython 2.4.2 is now available for free
    download from:
    http://www.ActiveState.com/Products/ActivePython/

    This release updates ActivePython to version 2.4.2, that was finalized a
    few weeks ago. My apologies for the tardiness. If you'll believe it, I've
    been busy implementing *Ruby* AutoComplete in Komodo.

    One thing you may not have noticed is that ActivePython has added
    support for a number of platforms in the past months. Installers are
    available for the following operating systems and architectures:

    - Windows/x86
    - Mac OS X/powerpc (new)
    - Linux/x86
    - Solaris/SPARC
    - Solaris/x86 (new)
    - AIX/powerpc (new)
    - HP-UX/PA-RISC (new)

    We would welcome any and all feedback to:

    Please file bugs against ActivePython at:
    http://bugs.ActiveState.com/ActivePython

    What is ActivePython?
    ---------------------

    ActivePython is ActiveState's quality-assured binary distribution of
    Python. Builds for AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows
    are made freely available.

    ActivePython includes the Python core and core extensions (zlib 1.2.3,
    bzip2 1.0.2, bsddb 4.2.52, Tk 8.4.9, and Tix 8.1.4) and is fully
    compatible with other Python distributions of the same version.

    ActivePython also includes a wealth of Python documentation, including:
    - the core Python docs;
    - Andrew Kuchling's "What's New in Python" series;
    - the Non-Programmer's Tutorial for Python;
    - Mark Pilgrim's excellent "Dive into Python"; and
    - a snapshot of the Python FAQs, HOWTOs, and PEPs.

    An online version of the docs can be found here:
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.4/welcome.html

    Extra Bits
    ----------

    ActivePython releases also include the following packages:

    - Windows "debug" package: Debug-built binaries for ActivePython
    users building debug versions of their binary Python extensions.
    - ActivePython24.chm: An MS compiled help collection of the full
    ActivePython documentation set. Linux users of applications such as
    xCHM might find this useful. This package is installed by default on
    Windows.

    These packages are available from:
    ftp://ftp.activestate.com/ActivePython/etc/

    Thanks, and enjoy!

    Trent, Python Tech Lead

    --
    Trent Mick